Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

My grandfathers elgin pocket watch has a gem stone on the…

Customer Question
My grandfathers elgin pocket...

My grandfathers elgin pocket watch has a gem stone on the top of the stem I can't find one like it on line can you give me any info on it ?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I am 76 yrs old and this was my grd fathers I don't know how to open it

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It has abroken crystal I would like to get fixed but would like to know value before shipping it off

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/15/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 8 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature to add pictures of the watch, dial, inner case (where there will be marks, words or symbols) and the movement.
The serial number on a watch is on the movement (gears area) and not on the case. Those are always two different numbers.

Add pictures one at a time( add one, hit send, then do the next).

Once you do, give me some time to research.

No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

TO GET TO THE SERIAL NUMBER
To open the back cuvee( dust cover), you can use the edge of your fingernail or the edge of a

sharp knife at what would be the 2 o'clock position if you looked at the cuvee in terms of a clock face.

There is a raised lip in the region that allows for leverage to pop the case open.

I can give you a rough idea without seeing it.

A 14k gold Elgin pocket watch from circa 1890 with a cabochon-cut

sapphire on the stem would have a value of $1200-$1500 retail if it is size 12s or over (which most men's watches were).

To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.