Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a Certificate of Authenticity from Sills Gallery on

I have a Certificate of...
I have a Certificate of Authenticity from Robert Sills Gallery on this painting: Artist Du Bois, "Promenade", Origional Oil, registration #4-14786
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Is there any value for this item?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It is framed in a very nice gold wood frame and the painting and frame is in excellent condition.
11/15/2017
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am having trouble getting the picture from my phone to the computer to send to you. I will get it to you as quickly as I can.

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Attached is the photo of the painting.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Here is a copy of the Certificate of Authenticity.
Thank you for the images, please allow me some time to look these over for you
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Sure, no problem.

Thank you for your patience.

Robert Sills galleries made a big business on contemporary starving artists. They were US based but sourced most of their artwork from painters throughout Europe. They added these somewhat dubious Authenticity papers to the paintings which essentially state the obvious - this is an original painting signed Du Bois that came from Robert Sills Galleries.

On numerous occasion, the signatures on the paintings were fictitious names, but ones similar enough to a famous name. Again, a dubious practice.

Most people bought works from this gallery in hopes of speculating that one or most would become the next van Gogh or Picasso and that their investment would pay off. A few prolific Paris scene painters have garnered numbers up to $10,000 but the majority of works, of which they imported tens of thousands achieve decorative wall art prices at auctions and sales.

On today’s market, expect to garner a high of $200 - $300 for a vintage framed original painting by an unlisted artist.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Nora
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
Thank you

You are very welcome. ~Nora

Nora
Nora