Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Looking for more information on and value of an Antique

Customer Question
Mantle clock and garniture set...
Looking for more information on and value of an Antique Mantle clock and garniture set. Beautiful bronze or bronze type metal of a reclining woman on a marble base. This appears to be either bronze or similar metal of which no magnet attracts to. Markings on the woman are a sined under her foot into the metal L&F Moreau, and on the front it states " La Source Par F Moreau" I suspect the original feet are not what is on the base currently, these are wooden and different from the metal feet on the two pieces that are matching it. This has the pendulum but no key and the inner working of the clock are marked "Horlogerie Paris with a letter J in the middle. She measures about 19" inches long, 13" inches tall and about 6 1/2 " deep. The only issue I can note is a chip on the marble base corner and one of the wooden legs is loose from the hole it is in. I have attached photos and more available if needed
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
DSCN5338.JPGDSCN5338.JPGDSCN5333.JPGDSCN5333.JPGDSCN5309.JPGDSCN5309.JPGDSCN5274.JPGDSCN5274.JPGDSCN5312.JPGDSCN5312.JPGDSCN5298.JPGDSCN5298.JPGDSCN5277.JPGDSCN5277.JPGDSCN5279.JPGDSCN5279.JPGDSCN5322.JPGDSCN5322.JPGDSCN5324.JPGDSCN5324.JPGDSCN5328.JPGDSCN5328.JPGDSCN5317.JPGDSCN5317.JPG
11/14/2017
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
Are you wanting the current market value for this set?

Glenda

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The Art Nouveau L & F Moreau Mantle Suite, has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $1***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $1***-**-****.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $2200.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $2200.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

Can you tell me what approximate year this is from and would this be bronze or another metal? I am also not familiar with what the two pieces with the clock are for. Just decorative or do they serve some purpose? Is there information online as to the maker or creator of this piece? Thank you

Hello

it is from around 1880, it is Bronze and Marble. They are just decorative, the set would have resided on a mantle with these on each end. L & F Moreau is the creator. Auguste Louis Moreau French (1855-1919) in Business with Hippolyte François Moreau French (1832-1927) Known as L&F; Moreau.

They produced clocks as well as other sculptural items.

.

.
Glenda,
.
.
.

.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Rating the appraiser for answering your question has no cost to you, so please take a moment to rate this answer. This is the only way we get compensated by the site for our work. At no cost to you the customer. This may be clicking the stars, rate expert or review expert.
.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

A rating is appreciated
Thank you
Glenda

Hello

Is these anything else I can help you with on this, if not a rating is much appreciated, this is the only way we are compensated for our time.

Glenda