Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a black Starr and gorham sterling service for 12 (14

Customer Question
pieces per place setting) plus...
I have a black Starr and gorham sterling service for 12 (14 pieces per place setting) plus 3 serving spoons and 2 sets of carving knives and forks. The set was purchased in 1932 (approx.) from BS&G on Fifth Ave NYC in 1932-33. The pattern is very plain with a pointed top but the inventory coming from the store is marked #730. Any idea of approximate value? ***@******.***
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Antiques
11/14/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 27 days ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?
If so, then -
Please send photos of ONE whole fork showing the pattern.
Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the reverse.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.
If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.
An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Can I send you the photos via text or email from my IPhone? I do not have access to a computer

We cannot accept text messages via this system.

The email system can be as slow as 24 hours. It depends on how busy the site techs are.

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.*** with the following EXACT information.

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your site user name and real name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same email address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours or more.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Additionally, I have a Tiffany nautilus lamp in original condition and marked "23623 Tiffany studios" on the underside of the base. What is the approximate value?

I am very sorry but it is against Just Answer site policy to stack questions.

You will need to go back to the login and enter another piece as a separate new question.

I would be delighted to help you there.

Just type "For Doris Only" as the first three words of your new question. Most of the pros on the site will respect that request.

Again, I would be glad to help but enter the piece in new question.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
I am still waiting for a valuation on the set of Black Starr and Gorham sterling flatware which I requested over a week ago. Is there a problem with the photos I sent? Please let me know if there is a problem or if you are unable to make the appraisal, please refund the money I paid. Thank you. ***** (*****@******.***)
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 21 days ago

I never received your photos.

You asked if you could email photos.

I sent you the following instructions.

Send the picture to***@******.*** with the following EXACT information.

.
.

.

Kind regards,

Doris

Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur