Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I possess a leather bound (red with gold-leaf Binding

Customer Question
I possess a leather...

I possess a leather bound (red with gold-leaf Binding information) copy os Thomas Hardy's February 1895 edition of

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Far from the Madding Crowd

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I possess a copy of Feb. 1895 This. Hardy's Far from the Madding Crowd (red leather with gold-leafed Binding). What is this worth, please?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/14/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 9 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

What is the publisher name of your volume?

~Nora

Harper & Brothers Publishers, New York and London
No thanks, I'd rather stick to an online answer (here), or--as I've said, an e-mail response. (You've already 'gotten me' for $5, but NOT for an additional $34!!) I'm a cancer survivor...and as such, it bankrupted me---I'm living on a partial Soc. Sec. check, and every cent counts!! If this volume is worth something substantial, I wish to put it up for auction.)

Understood, no worries on the phone offer, it is by choice. ~Nora

Your 1895 Harper & Brothers published edition of Thomas Hardy's title, Far From the Madding Crowd retails for $75 on today's market.

Though it may sound cliche, the best platform for you to sell these is on Ebay. It is where the most potential buyers would first go to search for such items. You can also try listing on Craigslist, through a for sale forum group on Facebook or a local consignment shop. I do not recommend selling direct to a dealer, as a dealer will offer 10% - 30% of the lowest perceived value.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Thank you; though obviously, I was hoping for significantly higher valuation!

You are welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you here.

In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

This question thread will not close after a rating is left.

Thank you!

~Nora