Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I need some help with identifying a piece of furniture. So…

Customer Question
Second opinion] Hello, I...

Second opinion] Hello, I need some help with identifying a piece of furniture. So far, I can tell you these things:that it has handmade dovetails in the front and rear, is made of burl walnut veneer of 1/4 inch, has been shellacked (used alcohol test),

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Oh, sorry, I had more to say. It has pad feet, cabriole legs, the dovetails are thin and delicate, I suspect the wood was cut with a pit saw, the cross-section of the nails are rectangular, the screws do not have uniform grooves in the heads, but the ends are pointed, it is made of different types of wood, it has the letters "GH" stenciled on the inside back of the piece, it has what looks like pieces of quarter round on the inside of the drawers going longitudinally, and there are triangular drawer guides on the 2 left side drawers and ones that look like rectangles on the right.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/12/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the furniture.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

The photos have already been added. They are links that you should be able to open directly.

No photos have come through at this end. Please send them again via the ADD FILES link next to the SEND or SUBMIT link.

far, I can tell you these things:-It is an English dressing table that is missing the mirrors.-It has thin and delicate handmade dovetails in the front and rear.-Made of burl walnut veneer of 1/4 inch (6.53 mm).-Has been shellacked (used alcohol test).-It has pad feet, cabriole legs..-I suspect the wood was cut with a pit saw.-The cross-section of the nails are rectangular.-The screws do not have uniform grooves in the heads, but the ends are pointed.-It is made of different types of wood.-It has the letters "GH" stenciled on the inside back of the piece.-It has what looks like pieces of quarter round on the inside of the drawers going longitudinally.-There are triangular drawer guides on the 2 left side drawers and ones that look like rectangles on the right.I noted that some of the thinner pieces of wood are plywood, which may make it much younger, but I think that these had been replaced at some point (the drawer bottoms, the back, and the drawer guides). When I looked far inside the piece for older pieces of wood of a similar thickness, I found a piece that was about 1/8 inch (3.25 mm) that is definitely NOT made of plywood and is of a darker shade like the rest of the inner wood, so I think that this is an original piece of wood and the plywood came about later in the form of a repair. Incidentally, I found a penny inside it- a 1971 Queen Elizabeth II “New Penny”. More evidence of English beginnings.I will attach links to the photos. Please let me know if you can be of assistance and if you need more photos. Thank you for reading this far!Best,Shannon Smithhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/jEKsrcecisINVXkF3https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ey89YmXInWcT9ir82-https://photos.app.goo.gl/eRH8pzyqFS9Jow7D2-close up of the edge of the thin, older piece that hasn’t been changed out.

Thank you for the excellent photos.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an accurate answer to your question.
I am going to release your question (opt-out) so that if another professional knows the answer, he/she can help you.
There is no extra charge if another professional responds to your question.
I will not be able to respond to your questions once I opt-out.
I hope you find the answer to your question.
Kind regards,
Doris

Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 8 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

This is a 20th century dressing table or vanity without the original mirror.

The furniture piece is done in an English Queen Anne Revival style and dates to late 1920s into the 1930s.

Drop center vanities with mirrors were very popular in homes in the 20th century. The 'give' or ' tell' on this piece are the drawer handles, which are Art Deco in style and the relative thin-ness of the wood.

The stenciled letters are in-house inventory codes and are not able to be used to trace to the maker.

High value, $400 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora