Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a very old, large painting or print that has been my…

Customer Question
I have a very...

I have a very old, large painting or print that has been my family for well over 100 years. It's signed however I cannot make out the signature. I am interested in getting a valuation and perhaps selling it. Also the frame is as old as the artwork contained, as it's the original. It's gilded however there have been a few minor repairs due to the age & having been moved thru out the years. What can I do to start the process of acquiring the value of my artwork

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Not that I can think of. I can upload a photo, along with the enlarged signature if that would be of any assistance

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/12/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 8 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Please add images at your convenience by using the +Add File feature next to the SEND button.

I will need to see to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the completed framing. The back of a painting tells us just as much as the front sometimes.

Give me time to do some research after you add pictures.
No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I do respond.

I've taken quite a bit of photos & am attaching them now.... please let me know if you have any questions subsequent to reviewing the photos. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer. Kim Pritchard
IMG_0255.JPGIMG_0255.JPGIMG_0258.JPGIMG_0258.JPGIMG_0259.JPGIMG_0259.JPGIMG_0260.JPGIMG_0260.JPGIMG_0261.JPGIMG_0261.JPGIMG_0262.JPGIMG_0262.JPGIMG_0264.JPGIMG_0264.JPGIMG_0265.JPGIMG_0265.JPGIMG_0267.JPGIMG_0267.JPGIMG_0268.JPGIMG_0268.JPGIMG_0269.JPGIMG_0269.JPGIMG_0270.JPGIMG_0270.JPGIMG_0271.JPGIMG_0271.JPGIMG_0272.JPGIMG_0272.JPGIMG_0273.JPGIMG_0273.JPGIMG_0274.JPGIMG_0274.JPGIMG_0277.JPGIMG_0277.JPGIMG_0276.JPGIMG_0276.JPGIMG_0275.JPGIMG_0275.JPGIMG_0266.JPGIMG_0266.JPG

I am unable to find a match for this itembecause the photos are too dark and signature is illegible.

I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 8 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Kim

This appears to be a print. Is it possible you could take clearer and lighter images of this ?

Glenda

I will try. It's very heavy & hard for me to move but I'll do my best. Thank u

OK, that would be great. It is just that transfer from you to the site, the pictures are just not clear.

I need to get this in some natural sunlight because the indoor lights throw a glare on the picture & it's obviously too dark inside my home. Would it be possible to take some pictures in the morning? I can send them to you as soon as I take some additional photos... thank you

That will be just fine, I will be on in the morning around 8 am central time and be here all day.

Glenda

Great! Talk to you then...

ok