Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am considering to buy what I believe is a late 19th

Customer Question
Hello, I am considering...

Hello, I am considering to buy what I believe is a late 19th century Cigar store figure of a baseball player. Would you be able to determine how old it is.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It's carved out of wood and painted. It has a good amount of paint loss. Weighs about 70 pounds. Ar little over 6 ft. tall.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have only seen pictures. And they aren't high resolution

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/12/2017
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 9 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

My name is Glenda,
I am reviewing your question.
I will return in just a moment.

Can you send pictures of this?

Glenda

How do I send

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.
If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.
.

Glenda

After researching it I believe it's a player named Matt Kilroy who played for the Baltimore Orioles. I found a poster image of a him and it looked just like the statue. Except the uniform was different. (But the uniform did change to the one he is wearing in the sculpture. My biggest concern is the number. Players didn't wear numbers on their uniform until the 20s. He was a fan favorite of the orioles and hold the record for most strikeouts in a season (prior to what they refer to as "the modern baseball era'). He endorsed a local cigar company named August Mencken & Brothers cigar company. He was featured in tobacco cards, posters and even had one of the companies cigars named "The Kilroy" after him.

Hi

It does appear to be him. Yours is much older then this one on Ebay. The one on Ebay looks like a copy of yours.

Looking at yours and the way it is constructed it does appear to be from the from the late 19th C, the number on the Jersey could just be something the creator added.

Are you wanting the current market value for this?

Ok, I will look these up in my books be right back.

Thank you

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
After researching the Wood Folk Art Cigar Store Carved Statues of ( prominent ) Baseball Players, late 19thC, I found that ones the size you are looking at have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $2***-**-****.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $1***-**-****.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $2800.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $2800.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

The last tobacconist trade figure baseball player was auctioned at Sotheby's 2 years ago for $400,000. I'm confused at the amount you suggested.

Hello

I am sorry, I have not idea what happen to my answer, there seems to have been some numbers that did not get inserted.

The answer was suppose to read:

After researching the Wood Folk Art Cigar Store Carved Statues of ( prominent ) Baseball Players, late 19thC, I found that ones the size you are looking at have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $422,000.00-42,8000.00 if sold at an auction (a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $310,000.00-350,000.00, if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $428,000.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $428,000.00

I cannot imagine what happen to my answer, why the numbers and comma's were left out.

.

I did find the one that sold at Sotheby's , I also found one sold at a private sale for 500,000.00.

.
Glenda,
.
.
.

.