Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have 12 5pc place settings of Spode "Irene" China, plus…

Customer Question
I have 12 5pc...

I have 12 5pc place settings of Spode "Irene" China , plus several serving pieces that I would like to sell. Can you give me an estimate of their appraised value. They are in excellent condition and have not been used in 30 years.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I have unwrapped all of the pieces and all are in excellent condition. The extra pieces are: sugar bowl w lid, creamer, 9"square serving bowl, 9 3/4" oval serving bowl, 14" oval platter. I also 12 fruit /dessert dishes.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Antiques
11/7/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 3 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.

I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.

Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Your set of Irene porcelain by Spode has an estimated retail value of $1800-2200.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com
Replacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

HOW TO PACK AND SEND CHINA:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser