Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a oil painting by Elsocht that measures 40" X 45". It

I have a oil painting...
I have a oil painting by Robert Elsocht that measures 40" X 45". It is called Monterio Forest. Can you give me a estimate value?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It is signed by Robert Elsocht and I think it is original but not sure.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Do not know much about it other than it is in great condition.
10/22/2017
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 28 days ago
The oil painting on canvas measures 38 3/4" X 43 1/2". I am trying to figure out how to send the pictures

Just use the ADD FILES link on your response page. It is near the SEND or SUBMIT link.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Having problems with my internet...did you receive the pictures?

They did not come through at this end. How did you send them?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Added photo file and touched send

That did not work. There is a bit of a quirk that may help.

First type a word or two in the response box then add file and send.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Did they come through this time?

No. Try send one picture per response.

Make sure you leave enough time for the picture to load before you click OK.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Did they show up on your end?

YES!

May I have a picture of the back? Is it framed?

We need to do one more thing before I am sure of value.

Please take a good magnifying glass close to the darkest area of the piece. Do you see any very tiny white spots?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
There is a frame around the picture but not on the back. There are some tiny white spots.

The tiny white spots indicate that this is a print.

Why do you think it is an oil?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It does not have glass on the front and we can feel the texture of the paint.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
It is on canvas.

Prints can be done on textured canvas. Do the strokes of the brush color match the texture of the canvas?

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I cannot get the picture to send buy the back is just canvas.

That's fine. Check to see if the texture of the canvas matches the direction of the color.

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
We are not sure about the canvas and paint direction but we can feel the roughness of the paint.

Unfortunately, prints are often done on textured canvas.

Let me try to explain how to tell about the paint strokes.

In a true oil painting, when the artist makes a brush stroke of color, often the paint around the edges of the color or at the end of the brush stroke are raised.

In a textured canvas print, you will feel roughness but the color does not follow the pattern of roughness (as in raised edges of paint).

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
We do not believe it is a textured canvas. There are smooth paint strokes and places where it is rough.

I will value it as a original oil but I really think there is a good chance it is a print. You might consider taking it to a reputable local framer who should be able to tell if the canvas is textured to feel like paint strokes.

Robert Elsocht (1908 - 1999)

"Robert L. Elsocht was active/lived in California / Belgium. Robert Elsocht is known for landscape."

Source: Online Art Directory

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I determined an ESTIMATED AUCTION VALUE of $450-650 for your piece as an original oil.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 10 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you for all your help. We aren't very smart about this art stuff.

Do not apologize. I have been doing assessments for many years.

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser