Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I purchased a few books at a yard sale. One book is a math

Customer Question
I purchased a few books...
I purchased a few books at a yard sale. One book is a math book and the other looks like the workbook. The copyright date in the book is 1817. The math doodles in the "workbook" are clearly done with a quill as it has ink blots and and smears. The book cover itself it in great condition because it's covered in cowhide which is sewn on the original cover with big bold messy stitches. The book is "A New System of Mercantile Arithmetic". The workbook looks like it has word problems and scribbles and answers. I can't decide if he copied the words down himself in a blank book or if it was pre-printed and he just did the math problems.
I found a letter inside the book written to the boy whose name matches the name written in the math book. The letter is dated March 5, 1833 and the condition of the letter is quite surprisingly good. It seems to be a sister asking her brother to come home and is sharing the conditions and updates on the family members. She begins the letter, "Dear brother we received your letter on the first day of November 1932 which this is the third letter since we've received it and have got no answer since." --sounds like most brothers--
Anyway, there are several names written that seem to connect and then one strange note in the outside that seems to not be associated at all.
The address on the letter is Oxford Township, Gaernsey County (which I looked up to be in Ohio). and a USPS stamp that is faded but could be New York. Also a note which says "I am now in New York".
I'd like to know where to start to begin to find out more information on the people, places, and history of this letter and books. And to determine if it's worth anything more than what I paid for it. Can you direct me as where to start?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Antiques
10/21/2017
Antique Expert: Wayne, Auctioneer replied 2 months ago
Wayne, Auctioneer
My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising Antiques for over 40 years, and I can help you with this.
.Do you have pictures you can see?
If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.
Or you can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Meyerbuys
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
Thanks,
I am researching the book.
Thanks
Thanks for the update
Here are a few more pictures of the books. Some of the copyright page and the inside of the book that might help you. Thanks
297363FD-117F-495F-983A...jpeg297363...jpeg6C34AF34-2B5F-4F2C-B3CA...jpeg6C34AF...jpeg97D61AB5-EA8A-4439-B412...jpeg97D61A...jpegA52149FB-0029-45B0-95C9...jpegA52149...jpeg22402466-0590-4320-A701...jpeg224024...jpeg0A601B5A-B532-4312-9F24...jpeg0A601B...jpeg7C548B05-7CEA-4919-BCE5...jpeg7C548B...jpeg

Hi Molly,

Sorry for the delay, as this question was closed at one point. I have researched this book and the letters and other documentation. This book is collectible, in fact this isconsidered to be a standard for "modern arithmetic" this book was first published in 1807. From my research our book is a 3rd edition. Books similar to yours are selling for $50-100 at auction: however, with the additional letters and documentation, the full collection should fetch $150-250 at auction and perhaps more. This is a Real part of American History.

I would challenge the average student today to comprehend what is contained in this book.

Thank you,

Please click on the Stars*****When you read this answer.

Thank you
Wayne, Auctioneer