Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

My son passed away in Mar. of this year. He was a

My son passed away in...
My son passed away in Mar. of this year. He was a contemporary photograper and artist well-known in The New York area as well as throughout the world. He also cooddinated a showing for the Leslie Lohman Museum in Manhattan and 2 of his photos were also displayed revolving around the Guggenheim Museum also in Manhattan. He has been shown in galleries in NY, England, Germany, California, etc. He has also written and photographed for magazines. Published several of his own magazines, clothing designer at age 14, clothing critic around age 20 and fashion stylist for magazines, record albums, etc.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: He has done 2 very large collages which he had asked me to take and then donate to the Leslie Lohman Museum. They need a professional appraisal of at least $7000 in order for me to get a tax write-off on this donation. He has many other items relating to art, fashion, design, photography. I will eventually have to have them archived and catalogued. These items are currently being stored in Huntington, Long Island, NY.
10/20/2017
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

My goodness, your son was outstanding.

You need a certified appraiser to do an on-site assessment followed by a written appraisal in USPAP format plus fill out and sign the appropriate IRS donation form.

These are some certified appraisers in the Long Island, NY, area in the attached image. See the following image with a list to choose from.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
34;For Doris Only" - none of the appraisers you have listed seem to deal with my son's type of work and aren't in the Long Island, NY area.
Walter is very much listed on Google and has almost 5,000 friends on Facebook plus 2 separate FB accounts - one is a Memorial Acct. Do you have any suggestions on appraisers in the NY area who deal in photography and contemporary work? He is also well-known in the LGBT community.
Thanks

This is the description you sent of your son.

"He was a contemporary photographer and artist"

There are three appropriate appraisers on the list that I sent you that are in the NY area and can easily get to Long island. Good appraisers know they must travel. There are no appraisers who will list themselves as specifically Long Island,

See these three on the list I sent:

Scott W Hales - Photography and photographs - NY area

Christopher S Gaillard - 20thc Art - NY area

Israel Stepanian - Contemporary Art - NY area

No one appraiser will be able to do the entire collection. You may need all three.

All three of these are on the list I sent.

For other appraisers, go to this site. You will find 16 certified appraisers that work in the NY area there.

https://www.isa-appraisers.org/find-an-appraiser/results/List?searchName=&searchLocation=Long+Island%2C+NY

You definitely need an appraiser with certification. These are the only ones that can submit the appropriate forms to the IRS.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser