Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

GLENDA ONLY ENAMEL POT / JUG Glenda Years ago I did ask

GLENDA ONLY ENAMEL POT / JUG Hi...
GLENDA ONLY
ENAMEL POT / JUG
Hi Glenda
Years ago I did ask about a similar pot (I think with Will). Who-ever seemed to think it was a steamer of some sort - I can't check as I can only go back as far as April 2016 but the photo was taken Sept 2011. I eventually found out that it was a sterilizer for lambs teats (spoke to someone who used to make them)
I now have a similar pot with some differences. This one has a slight lip for pouring, the lid doesn't go so far into the jug/pot and it has a lot more smaller holes - 12 around the outer and one in the center. The original only had 6 around the outer. The holes in this jug are way to small for teats so can you find out what it would be used for, a date and value, please?
It measures approx 9" tall.
I've enclosed photo's of this jug and the original pot to show what I mean. The original pot was valued at $85. I put it up for sale at €85 and sold at €80. Would this jug be a similar value? I was given it so it makes no odds to me if it's only valued at $5 or $500Thanks a bunch
Janniehttps://imgur.com/a/nwVt0
10/19/2017
Josie-Mod
I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I sent your requested Expert a message to follow up with you here, when she is back online.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Jannie

I am looking this up, see what I can find. Are the two pieces the same color?

The original pot was a darker green. This one is a very pale lime green with white lid

I wonder if that strainer goes with this pot? You would think they would be the same color. Is the pot marked?

Definitely goes together.
No marks at all.
I've never seen any of these type of pots marked.
The original pot is quite common over here for sale in the Vide Greniers but I've never seen one with these smaller holes

What is the original pot called?

I only know it as a STERILIZER or STERILISATEUR in French

Hey Jannie

I looked through some old books, I see where this type Enamelware is called a Sterilizer but, they do not mention what the sterilize. Whatever it is fits in the pot and the steam escapes the holes in the top, much like the vegetable steamers but I do not think that is what this is. I think it has to do with Milk or Cream, why else would it have a pouring lip on the pot?

I found the vintage French Sanitizers/Sterilizers valued from $75.00.-80.00 there was one that was blue and white that was listed at 125.00.

Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser