Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have no idea what I have... It is a Wayne Portrait my dad

Hi... I have no idea...
Hi... I have no idea what I have... It is a John Wayne Portrait my dad bought from Pilar Wayne... But It is not named.. It is not signed. It has a gold Frame and she put a Placque on the canvas part of the Frame with her name. I have been unable to find this particular portrait. It looks like he has on a brown leather jacket..beige kerchief...black hat with a brown band and very blue eyes... with a blue background. I don't believe it is an oil painting because what I do have is it hand signed on the back from Pilar to my dad... and a very moth eaten check but you can see it was purchased in 1993 and you can see Pilar's then bank info as it was deposited and I cant really see but it looks like 500.00 was paid... Any idea what I have?
10/18/2017
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is an oil on canvas of John Wayne, painted by Pilar Pallette Wayne. She was a prolific artist and put out many paintings of him, as well as of other subjects.

At auction or resale, this would be estimated in the $1,000.00 - $1,500.00 range.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
HI.. Thank you but how do you know it is an oil.... Does it have a name... and why isn't it signed most I have seen are... I have also seen people selling her oil paintings oh her husband for 50K and above... not getting it but trying....what is the difference...
thank you

People are LISTING them at that price, but they are not being sold. It's wishful thinking. I have access (paid professional databases) that show me prices for her paintings that have actually sold, and they are in the range I mentioned at the highest. Some go for as little as $250.

Not all of her works were signed, but it's clearly her work, so that does not affect value.

I can tell it's an oil painting on canvas from the photo you provided.

She never put all of her artwork up on her site, just the pieces that she had available for sale at the time or she particularly liked. She painted hundreds of paintings and sold or gave away most of them right away. This one was sold before the Internet was popular, let alone digital cameras, so it's unlikely she even had a photo of it to put up on her site.

I don't know if it has a name!

Feel free to keep asking..I'm here to answer.

Jennifer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For Jennifer This was my dad's so I don't know if or when I might be selling it... but I feel like John Wayne/Pilar Wayne will lose value as people forget who he is.... wold that be accurate... that being said would it be better to sell it now... then to wait as it may not gain value... and if so.. is her signature on the back and the check as in bad shape as it is enough.. you can see her name and bank info.... and what is they best way to sell it if I decide to.... Thank you

Oh, yes, that is fine, the signature on back and check. And I don't think anyone will forget who John Wayne is. I wouldn't worry about that. I'd recommend enjoying it as a memory from your dad for a while longer.

If you do decide to sell, I'd suggest Etsy, eBay, or RubyLane.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for Jennifer and Lastly.... because it was before the web site.... it seems to be more unique but honestly I am not that familiar with her work.. I just know in researching it trying to find this... there were others that I saw multiples of... this one I didn't find that... that doesn't increase the value at all.... ? Ad thank you !!

The multiples are because she made reproduction prints of some of her works, so you see many printed copies. No prints were made of this particular painting.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For Jennifer ..That increases or decreases the value.... sorry... I thought I was done....it seems to be more unique..

The values for all the paintings are about the same. Only the reproduction prints are worth less.

AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM