Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Irving. The copyright

Customer Question
I have The Legend of...
I have The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. The copyright 1896 by Henry Altemus. Inside it was given as a gift in1902. The book is in great condition and the binding is sewn inside the book.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I'm not sure what else I can say. Cleaning out a house I live in and has had 3 generations living in the house. I came across the book
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: the size is 8 !/4 x 5 1/4. The book is an off white and the title of book is in the center and around the title looks like a vine with blue flowers on the ends of vine. Is this a free service
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Antiques
10/18/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 month ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.

Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Your book The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving, published in 1896 by the Henry Altemus Co of Philadelphia, has an estimated retail value of $70-85.

See the following image. It shows a copy of your book currently for sale for $75.50

How to sell books:
http://www.internetbookselling.com/sell-old-books.html

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser