Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a 12x4x3 box With FGW&S IS International Silver Co…

Customer Question
I have a 12x4x3...

I have a 12x4x3 box With FGW&S IS International Silver Co marking on the bottom. How can I tell if it is sterling?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It was apparently a gift to someone. Engraved with their name and the date March 18, 1957

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The number 5002 is engraved below the company name

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
10/18/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 10 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send ONE photo of ONE fork showing the full fork showing the pattern.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve? (These are called place settings.)

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

This is not a silverware set. It is a simple box 12x4x3 with FGW&S marking. The number 5002 appears below the company name International Silver Co. (which appears below the FGW&S marking).
No thanks.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the labels.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the labels.