Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

F. I have a bunch of nude portrait photographs 12 total

Hey Diana F. I have...
Hey Diana F. I have a bunch of nude portrait photographs 12 total measuring 11x 7”
image0.jpgimage0.jpgimage1.jpgimage1.jpgimage2.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpgimage6.jpgimage7.jpgimage7.jpg
10/16/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi Keri!

Got this one too!

~Diana

Yay thank you!!

Hi Keri.

.
These are certainly nudes. =) They're by Arundel Holmes Nicholls. Nicholls was an American naturist photographer. He was the son of Rhonda Nicholls, an well known English painter who used her son as her subject fairly often. For the most part Nichols was active in the early part of the 20th century (circa 1910 to 1930 or so).

.

Really, for his time, he was a bit of ahead of the game and definitely a bit risque. There has always been a bit of controversy over erotic vs. art. I guess coming from an art background, I don't really see the nudity as much. Imagery aside, he had a great eye for composition and could pull off a wide range of tones, which speaks to his ability in setting up shots and working a darkroom. He almost exclusively photographed nudes outdoors using both male and female models. It looks like you have a set of 12 female nude photographs.

.

They're marked on both the front and back with his blind stamp and credit stamp, so they're definitely legit. They're marked with later stamps, so I think they date to the 20s. It's too bad whoever owned them didn't keep the original mailer they would have gotten them in.

.

To be honest, Nicholls values tend to be all over the board and they don't have a huge collector base. From what I see in your pics, the conditions look pretty decent. I don't seen any bent corners or creases. There doesn't seem to be any staining or foxing. I do see a tiny bit of wear along some of the edges, similar to the wear on covers of books over time. That's nothing major, but I wanted to note it.I

.

I think for the most part, you'll be looking at about $125 to $150 per photo. You might try selling them in small lots, like a lot of 3 for around $350 to $400 or a lot of 4 for around $450 to $500 or so. I think one big lot might be too expensive for most buyers. You'll have to let me know how these do. Like I said the collector base is fairly small, but it does exist, especially for photos this old.

.

If you have any questions, let me know,.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.
Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.
.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

.

I look forward to working with you again.
.

Have a great night!

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
cool you are so fabulous in your description! My boyfriend and I really enjoy reading what you say! And this is so interesting I really didn’t know what to expect. Thanks!! I will definitely let you know what happens to these sometimes we hold on to things longer than we expect but that isn’t our goal it’s just finding the right place to sell can be challenging

Aww. Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it. =) I'm glad I'm able to help. I know you're trying to learn as much as you can so if there's ever anything I can think to add, I try to. If you ever have any questions over any of it, just let me know.

.

Selling anything can be tricky enough, but especially with art. I think because art more than most collectibles is a bit more personal and everyone wants to find that right piece.

.

I'm still trying to track down the artist on your other ones. =)

I really do want to learn and I was just reading some of your older responses and enjoying those again. I need to save them because I’m not sure how long they stay on here. But take your time no rush. We have piled up quite a bit of art and I feel like an estate sale might be the best way at the moment we live in Palm Springs CA which can be busy during the right season. But my boyfriend thinks that maybe auction houses are the way to go I just feel like the majority of stuff we have isn’t of too much interest for auction houses. Either way we will figure it out haha

You know, I don't think I've ever thought to ask how long responses stay on the servers. I know I can search my old responses back 4 years, but I'm not sure about customers.

.

Hmm... most auction houses (at least your bigger name / bigger value ones) require lot minimums. That means unless they think it'll bring in a certain money amount, they won't touch them. You're also very dependent on who happens to be bidding. It can really go either way. It probably wouldn't hurt to talk to a few and see what their business is like. You can always ask if they set reserves too. That can help you control the price a little bit.

.
In your area, an estate sale might be good. If nothing else, just try to have a rough idea of what that piece cost you and mark it up a good 25% to 50% higher.