Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

10/16/2017
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome back. Thank you for requesting me.

Please send a close up, clear picture of the signature.

If there is any information on the back, please send a picture of that as well.

Kind regards,

Doris

It appears some white paint dots were added after the painting was signed. I cannot read the letter under the white dot.

I cannot locate an artist that signed paintings "Carrin." I have gone through six artist directories.

Can you look at this in person and see what it might be? Is there a signature on the other painting that might be more clear?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I went back to my estate list. It says Louis card an enamel on copper.

Are you saying the artist was Louis Card?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cardan

These are Louis Cardin (FRENCH, 1931 - ) enamel works on copper. They date the last quarter of the 20thC.

"Louis Cardin is one of the most gifted contemporary inheritors of the proud tradition of enameling. A student of the famed Parisian artist Andre 'L Hote, Cardin employs the vocabulary of the Impressionism in this expressive medium."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I determined an ESTIMATED AUCTION VALUE of $350-500 for each of your pieces.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 10 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer or via consignment can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser

Thank you so much for the positive.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser