Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

10/15/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. This is a pretty pair of vases. How tall are they?

~Diana

Hi again. Can you tell what that little mark is off to the side of the Made in Belgium stamp?

Hmm.. It looks a bit like an M. Offhand I don't know of any Belgian factory using that, but let me see what I can find.

~Diana

it kind of looks like a j
You might be right though

Hi.

It ran it through a program and it looks like a cursive style M to me. I can't find any Belgian factory that used a mark quite like that. I looked through all my mark books and searched the databases but didn't find anything quite like that. That's not entirely uncommon as many of the old factories, especially smaller ones, were never recorded or those records were lost. The M is likely a decorators mark.

.

They're an interesting pair of vases with a relief design featuring white doves and grapes. Unlike most molded pottery pieces, they're background is painted with a color. That's a design that you usually find more with the parian ware style that was popular with English pottery. Wedgwood, Mintons, and Staffordshire all produced pieces like that.

.
In fact, here's one:

.

https://imgur.com/a/Ga7Rp

.

It's not entirely surprising to find this Staffordshire style in Belgium pottery. During the mid to late 1800s, Belgium actually recruited workers, designers, and even the basic materials and machinery to produce their own pottery. With that, you get the style too.

.

I think you have a pair of Belgium earthenware pottery vases that are based on a Staffordshire style. Judging by the design and the way the bottom looks, they likely date to about the art deco period of the 1920s/1930s.

.
Given their quality, they'll be worth about $50 to $75 for each vase. As a pair, they'd be worth about $100 to $125.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser