Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

10/4/2017
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help. Please give me some time while I research this for you. You'll get an email or popup when I've provided an answer.

Thanks.

I'm having a lot of difficulty deciphering the signature.

I think it's F.B. Cust.... or F.B. Gust.... However, I've gone through thousands of names in the database and can't find any that start with Cust or Gust and have the first initials F.B.

When you look at it in person, do you have any other ideas as to the name? Sometimes when it's in front of you and you can change the lighting and angle, it's clearer than in a photo.

Sorry. No ifeas

I'm unable to decipher the signature, so I'll opt out and let another appraiser pick up the question.
Jennifer

Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 10 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** I am a federally certified appraiser and licensed auctioneer with a Master’s degree from Sotheby’s Institute, UK. I'd like to try to assist you with this deciphering this artist and providing you with an evaluation.

After looking at both images carefully, I wanted to know if you have taken this piece out of the frame to ascertain if some of the signature may be obscured behind the frame. If not, would you be willing to do this and upload a photo of what you find? Hopefully, this will open a few new doors. I look forward to assisting you soon.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

Apologize.... I'm out of town for weeks and unable to get access to the painting.Therefore, not able to complete in a reasonable time frame.

I completely understand, when you are back feel free to request me and we will pick up where we left off.

Cheers!

Erin-Marie