Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an oil painting by Booth - Tucker from Spoof the

Customer Question
I have an oil...

I have an oil painting by Booth - Tucker from Spoof the British art show and I'm looking for info and value. It is on a triple sss canvas

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

Booth - Tucker was the founder of the Salvation Army.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
10/4/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 10 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Did you see the picture I sent?
Are you researching the pic I sent? I have not heard back from you????
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

I see you attribute this to Booth-Tucker. How do you know that? Is it signed?

Jennifer

If you enlarge the picture, you will see the signature under the green line in the bottom corner.
How long does it take for you to get back to me regarding the painting? Someone named Nora never got back to me???

The thing is that the Booth Tucker who started the Salvation Army died in the 1920s, and this brand of canvas panel is from the late 1950s or later.

Can I ask where and when you got this? That may help me figure it out.

I can't speak as to why the other appraiser was not able to come back, but I'll stay on with you right now until we figure this item out!

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer! It belonged to my grandmother...she passed in '96. I just came across it as I was cleaning out my garage.
If you look at the back side of the canvas, it appears it was purchased at the "Spoofing the British" art show. I don't know much about the art show but it looks like it's still in existence.

I'm going to give you my honest opinion--that's all I can do.

I think that someone amateur went to the British Art Show--known for "experimental" and often inexplicable art--and did this as a joke for a friend.

Either this person also has the name Booth-Tucker (there is no listed artist by that name), or they did it as a joke to indicate that the stuff at the Art Show belongs in a thrift store.

I really don't feel this is a professional piece of any kind, and the value would be negligible. As an art expert, I find it really funny and charming--and it probably had huge sentimental value to "Marie" as listed on the back--but it's not professional art.

If you have additional questions about this item, I am happy to continue working with you. Just continue our discussion in the reply box.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Thank you so much for your help Jennifer!!!!

You're welcome!