Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Approximate values on these items

Customer Question
Approximate values on these items
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 day by:
10/5/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 11 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

I will have to respectfully ***** ***** this one. While I might know a few of the items, I do not know them all so I am not allowed to answer. Another expert will step in to help if they know all of these.

Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 11 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** I am a federally certified Fine Art and Antiques appraiser and licensed auctioneer with a Master’s degree from Sotheby’s Institute, UK. I can assist you with the evaluation of these three pieces, please give me just a moment to review the three pieces and research and I’ll reply momentarily.

I look forward to assisting you.

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

1. The first piece is a 19th century oil on canvas painting depicting Cupid and a sleeping woman (possibly Venus). I am going to assume the piece has no visible signature and the flaking to the canvas is the only damage to note. While the flaking will affect the value of the piece, it is quite proficiently painted and I'd put it on par with this oil on canvas painting from the same period which sold at auction for $762USD. Subtract 20% to account for the damage of your example and the auction estimate is $609.60USD. In a gallery setting you can expect to see this piece roughly three times the auction estimate, bringing it closer to the $1600-$1800USD range. This being said, gallery prices will fluctuate due to regional variations and changing tastes..... onto number 2....

2. This appears to be a painted porcelain plaque / charger surrounded by wax flowers and held behind a glass frame. Again, I'll assume there is no visible signature or company name. Like the first piece this also depicts Cupid and Venus, who was born from a shell. This piece appears to have a crack or repair along the left side of the plaque. Unfortunately the vast majority of ceramics lose 70%-80% of their value when damaged. In perfect condition I would put it on par with this Sevres-style plaque which sold at auction for $200USD. Again, like the last piece, in a gallery setting I'd expect to see this piece roughly three times the auction estimate, closer to the $600-$700USD range. This being said, gallery prices will fluctuate due to regional variations and changing tastes.

3. The lovely metal wall sconce with a ceramic bird and flowers. It was once one of a pair and a full pair was sold at auction in 2015 with an additional set of candle holders for $175USD. This would bring an auction estimate of your single to between $45-$55USD and a corresponding gallery price estimate of $100USD to $125USD.

4. A Victorian oil on canvas painting depicting two lovers embracing. This piece does not appear to have the same finesse as the other painting you have submitted and certainly the tear in the canvas is a problem. Collectors simply pay more for pieces which are in good, original condition. In it's present condition, I would expect it to sell at auction in the range of $225USD, similar to this piece which also exhibits damage.

I you have any additional questions about these, don't hesitate to ask Otherwise, I hope this evaluation will be of assistance to you.

Please keep in mind, I only receive compensation for my answer once you have rated me positively, thus, your 5-star rating is most appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Erin-Marie