Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a" Woodstock Ont." duet piano bench. I have done

Customer Question
I have a "*****...

I have a "***** *****stock Ont." duet piano bench. I have done quite a bit of online research without success. The Canadian Encyclopedia did provide a nice history of the family history of piano, organ, and piano bench making since the mid-1800s, Is there a source you can recommend that I could find at the library that good give me a more definitive idea of the age (and value) of the piece. The family (and strangers) went through a succession of name changes through the years that is confusing and the Canadian Encyclopedia is not helpful to pin down the age of my bench. Thank you.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I doubt the piece is very valuable, but it may be a diamond in the rough (it needs some tender loving care). I would rather not spend money on an official appraisal if I can avoid it. I would like to know whether it's worth re-upholstering. But - it does have nice brass hinges, the imprimatur is a sticker on the inside of the top of the bench in the rough form of a harpsichord, it has a single "T" in the middle, 'THOMAS" at the bottom, AND "WOODSTOCK, ONT" in slightly smaller all caps below "THOMAS." There is a small piece of newspaper stuck to the bottom of the inside that has the month and day, but not the year - and not enough information from the article of consequence to help (dern it). For identifying marks, there is also a sticker placed at the center of the opening edge - but I can no longer make out the information. Edward J Thomas, One of a succession of Thomas family members in the piano business moved to Woodstock, Ontario in 1895 when the firm became the Thomas Oregon and Piano Company. However he may need thousands of piano benches over a long period of time, ending in the-mid 1940s. This information came from the Canadian Encyclopedia, published by Historic Canada are funded by the government of Canada. Can I send you photos? - Bill Schlecht KC MO

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2017
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 10 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hi, my name is Glenda,

This is your answer, please read entirely.
.
The ***** *****stock Ontario piano bench has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $325.00-375.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $250.00-300.00 , if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $375.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $375.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. You can also sell on Charish, where you consign items. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get compensated for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question. I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Rating the appraiser for answering your question has no cost to you, so please take a moment to rate this answer. This is the only way we get compensated by the site for our work. At no cost to you the customer.

This may be clicking the stars, rate expert or review expert.
.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

A rating is appreciated
Thank you
Glenda

Hello

Your answer is on this question. There is no need to post another question. You can ask me anything on this question here.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Glenda,
.
.
.

My question is whether your website allows users to send PHOTOS as part of the appraisal process. Yes or no? If yes, how? Thank you.

Yes, you can send photos, if you like.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.

If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.

Hello

Thank you for the pictures.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Glenda,
.
.
.

.
.

.
A rating is appreciated

Thank you
Glenda

Glenda: I'm afraid you keep repeating your initial response without responding to one of the key questions I have posed to you several times: Can I submit photos of the piano bench. With difficulty, I DID submit several pictures - and you have still not referred to the pictures in connection with your value appraisal or in your age estimate. I had submitted from the start a lengthy excerpt of the history of the manufacturer of the Canadian manufacturer of the piano bench copied from the Canadian Encyclopedia, which is a recognized source financed by the Government of Canada. I will not be rating you, but this matter is closed. I will not be paying the balance of the amount advertised as due, subject to satisfaction. I do appreciate what general information you provided to me (without references) and, most helpful, suggestions on where best to sell the bench. Thank you.

Hello

I did see your pictures, I got them forwarded to me by the site, I did the most up to date value on this bench. I gave you the most up to date value for what this bench is valued at on today's market. I am not sure I understand what you are wanting.

.

I got the pictures, I researched the values, which I gave to you. I did not see that you were looking for the age of the bench, the age of the bench dates to the 1915-20's. That was not in the question.

.

Appraisers pay monthly to access data bases, that track and document the most recent sales on items,, this information is copyrighted and we cannot share this since appraisers have to pay to access this.

Glenda