Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Is this site still active? Thanks. Are you a real person? I…

Customer Question
Hi, is this site...

Hi, is this site still active? Thanks

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Are you a real person?

Expert's Assistant: Yes, I'm a bot. I make the process of talking to the appraiser more efficient and affordable by asking basic questions. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have a etching from Georges Petit's studio in Paris . It seems to be from 1911

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/3/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. The next step would be for me to see pictures of the art,
signatures if any and back of completed framing for any writing or labels.
Use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures one at a time.

Let me know when you have some info. Thanks

I am unable to find a match for this signature. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'd be glad to help with your picture.

The artist is Frantz Charlet (1862 - 1928) a Belgian Impressionist painter well known in his day for his lithography and etchings. That's his signature, lower right in the margin, almost always signed with a lower case "c" and a distinctive stroke across the "z".

He was professionally taught at the Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts in Brussels and painted mainly genre scenes that often included children.

This color lithograph print is typical of his work, an interior scene in a Flemish farmhouse kitchen, dominated by an almost silhouetted figure of a seated man watching a child pour milk into a bowl and as a small boy sits at the far side of the table, the whole scene illuminated perfectly by light filtering through the tall window to the right, lighting up the faces of the children as well as the all the simple but elegant furnishings of the room.

As for value, this artist is well listed and his original works sell well, however he appears to have no significant collector following for his prints. Having said that, they do certainly have decorative as well as modest antique value. This example of one his prints, for instance, of a similar composition with some of the same cast of characters, and the same kitchen, sold at auction for $75 which is about typical.

I would give yours an auction (or eBay) value in the range of $60 - $100. It would therefore have a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store, say) of $200. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

I hope all is okay. I assume you must be having computer problems since I haven’t heard from you, however, if you are able to receive this, could you kindly take a moment to rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Or, if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line.

Thanks so much,

Robert.