Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

About 10 years ago while browsing ebay, i happened upon a…

Customer Question
Hi,About 10 years ago while...
Hi,About 10 years ago while browsing ebay, i happened upon a botanical statue from an estate sale that looked interesting and was only about 8$ with shipping.It turned out to be by Simon Yavitz and was dated 1972. It also came with a copy of one of his art show programs that currently sells on amazon for 10$ There is very little about him online except that his works are part of the smithsonian collection and fine botanical collectors like his work.I kept it because i loved it and thought it may be of value (due to the large amount of gold used if nothing else).Today, a gentleman who is fixing my shower in the employ of my landlords, apparently knocked it off the shelf and broke the stone slice pedestal into 3 pieces.Can this be fixed?
Should/is it worth it to be fixed?
What is was the value of the piece for my landlords to be able to provide compensation?Many thanks for your help!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2017
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 8 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name si Tanya I am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. I have found the obituary below when he died in New York that does give a little information on his life and also he wrote a book in 1966 on his sculptures that I have attached an amazon link for. The book I found prices from 14-49.00 online for the book it is out of print and he is the author that may give more information on his life also.

________________________________________________

SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES=== JAN. 14, 1973

Simon Yavitz, who began sculpturing of plants and miniature trees in gold and precious stones at the age of 60, died Thursday at Mount Sinai Hospital in Miami. He was 77 years old and lived at 390 West End Avenue.

Mr. Yavitz's work is being exhibited at the Smithsonian, Institution in Washington.

He was born in Russia, where he operated a textile factory. In 1922 he went to Palestine, establishing an investment bank and becoming the prime developer of Holon, a city built on sand dunes near Tel Aviv. He came here after World War

Surviving are his widow, Miriam; two sons, Prof. Boris Yavitz of Columbia University and Eric of Rochester; two brothers, Gregory and Abraham, and five grandchildren.

_____________________________________________

The link below is to purchase his book on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/art-Simon-Yavitz-collection-botanical/dp/B0007GPY3A

This is a very nice sculpture and had it not been broken would have a value of 125.00

It can be fixed by using epoxy and lining up the cracks to match perfectly. Broken the value is 45-50.00

You could replace the bottom piece but then you loose total value as that holds his name and date of the piece being made.

If I may be of further help please let me know I ma always happy to help.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

The gold itself is worth more than that. If you took time to read about his work you would see he cast the plant parts in solid and pure metals. This one has been tested by a jeweler at 24 k. I don't get the feeling you know what you're talking about. You talked more about the book than anything, but as I said in the original email, it is not a book. It's a very detailed program for an art show, it even has the date. You didn't discuss the multiple pieces he has on record at the smithsonian. You didn't even ask how large it was. As an artist myself, even if this wasn't jeweler tested gold, the materials alone would cost more than 150 $ for me to make. Your answer is in every way unacceptable and uniformed.
Antique Expert: Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 8 months ago
Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hello Michelle,

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been an appraiser for 28 years, and am the President of the Association of Online Appraisers.

I'm so sorry for what happened to your lovely sculpture. Can you tell me a little more about it?

How tall is it, with and without the base? How much does the gold weigh? What are the stones with which it is set?