Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a Full size headboard, foot board with side rails and…

Customer Question
I have a Full...

I have a Full size headboard, foot board with side rails and is believed to be dated somewhere between 1890's - 1920's The ink stamp on it is smudged. Can you help me know if it's worth selling? I traded for it.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

This bed 'frame' has quite some damage but its dating might be worth something. I have pictures of this item.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
10/2/2017
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 10 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Can you please post a few photos of these pieces. Front back and clear close ups of any of the names or markings on them. Also, please send measurements of the h x w as this will help in verifying the pieces too.

To post here click on the add files, file upload or the paperclip button and follow the prompts or send by email to ***@******.*** and int he email put "forCustomerquot; and they will be forwarded on to me. Experts are not employees of the company we are certified experts here to help the customer by giving an appraisal and values to your items. I have no access to your information nor do I send pop up ads or emails. I like to keep things here in written form so you have this for future reference to keep with the items.

The measurements are for the headboard is approximately 62" H. The measurement, 60" was to the broken part at the very top of headboard and estimated by the look to be 2" more. Width is at 58". The footboard also is 58" wide but 40" H. The side 'running boards measure 74" L not counting the fastening bolts.
DSC09569.JPGDSC09569.JPGDSC09467.JPGDSC09467.JPGDSC09587.JPGDSC09587.JPGDSC09588.JPGDSC09588.JPGDSC09590.JPGDSC09590.JPGDSC09583.JPGDSC09583.JPGDSC09584.JPGDSC09584.JPGDSC09582.JPGDSC09582.JPGDSC09570.JPGDSC09570.JPGDSC09577.JPGDSC09577.JPGDSC09585.JPGDSC09585.JPGDSC09578.JPGDSC09578.JPGDSC09580.JPGDSC09580.JPGDSC09579.JPGDSC09579.JPG
forCustomer
forCustomer

Hi thank you for the photos I will review these and post back here when completed promptly Thank you

Thank you for your patience this is a beautiful bed has some damage and could use a good coating or rub down of wood feeder however overall in good condition for age. If you were to do nothing to this bed and sell as is 450-500.00 for the set. If you were to buy a quality woos feeder and go over it and let it soak in rub down and do it again bring the wood to life and color back to the overall piece you could see about 650-700.00 in a higher end antique store.

It is 1900-1910 era and looks to be all there the 2 side rails and the head board and foot board. I can not make out the names on the bed as they are to blurred however it is a nice piece by the wood and carving it was an expensive bed to have bought during the time.

Thank you for sharing, great find.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

I really appreciate your help but was hoping for more guidance towards any information that have been know of similar names or artisans know in that era and area that I can further research. Overall an excellent answer. Just needed more leads as to whom or where I can continue looking further.Thx. David D.

These were the styles done during the time frame. I will do my best to place the maker by working the photos and seeing if I can fill in the and clean up the makers names Thank you for your reply.

Elizabethan, 1850-1915: This sub-category of the Victorian era is probably the most feminine-influenced style. It also makes use of the new machine-turned spools and spiral profiles that were fast becoming popular with furniture makers. New technology advancements allowed more machined parts to be generated. By adding flowers, either carved or painted, the furniture pieces of this era had a softness to them. Chair backs tend to be high and narrow, having a slight back tilt. Legs vary from straight to baluster-turned forms to spindle turned. This period of furniture design saw more usage of needlework upholstery and decoratively painted surfaces.

Louis XVI, 1850-1914: One period of the Victorian era that flies away with straight lines is Louis XVI. However, this furniture style is not austere; it is adorned with ovals, arches, applied medallions, wreaths, garlands, urns and other Victorian flourishes. As the period aged, more ornamentation became present on the finished furniture styles. Furniture of this time was made from more expensive woods, such as ebony or rosewood. Walnut was popular around the 1890s. Other dark woods were featured, often to contrast the lighter ornaments. Expect to find straight legs or fluted and slightly tapered legs.

Naturalistic, 1850-1914: This furniture period takes the scrolling effects of the Rococo Revival designs and adds more flowers and fruits to the styles. More detail is spent on the leaves—so much that one can tell if they are to represent grape, rose or oak leaves. Technology advances enhanced this design style, as manufacturers developed a way of laminating woods together. This layered effect was achieved by gluing thin layers together, with the grains running at right angles on each new layer. The thick panels created were then steamed in molds to create the illusion of carving. The woods used as a basis for the heavy ornamentation were mahogany, walnut and some rosewood. Upholstery of this period is often tufted, eliminating any large flat surface. The name of John Henry Belter is often connected with this period, for it was when he did some of his best design work. John and Joseph W. Meeks also enjoyed success with laminated furniture. Original labels bearing these names are ***** ***** on furniture pieces from this period, giving further provenance.--which this is the period I believe this set is from.