Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I need to know if it is worth to ship a three part cabinet…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I need...

Second opinion] I need to know if it is worth to ship a three part cabinet of the German "Biedermeier" period (early 1800) to Olympia, Washington. The

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I will explain, of course: The cabinet is a three part assembly with inlaid sides. The bottom unit has three curved front drawers. On top is a secretary (writing desk) section with a lid that swings out to provide a generous writing surface. On the back of the desk part are on the sides two drawers each, with an opening below those for storing whatever. The center has a door accessing the space that can be locked. The main attraction is a secret compartment. After unlocking the center unit door, there is a locking device, that allows the hidden compartment to be pulled out.I took quite a while to figure out how to access this hidden space. The next feature is the third section, which has two doors and are part of the flat surface topped by swung s-shaped trim that ends above a center stubby detail.

Expert's Assistant: Some old shoes of my mother's. They'd been handed down and were real 1920's dancing shoes. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I have this unit since the death of my mother 50 years ago and I was living on my boat and had no storage place that was secure enough to store these items. The unit is about 4feet wide and seven feet tall. It is located in Germany.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/29/2017
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it possible to upload photos of the item, including any and all marks?

If you don’t have photos, I can do my best without them—just let me know—but it’s more accurate with photos.

There should be a +ADD FILES feature next to our Send button.

If not, then there is a paperclip above the reply box that you click to attach photos.

The photos won’t upload unless you also have at least one word in the text box! You won’t see the attached photo along with the text before you post it, but you will see the paperclip or attach button turn green.

If that doesn’t work, please reach out to Customer Service for help at no additional charge:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/contact-us

I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely, Jennifer

I see that this question remains "open." How can I help you further? I strive to always provide five-star service.

I am happy to continue to work with you until you are completely satisfied.

Sincerely,

Jennifer