Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have what is called a mythical bird bath. Would like to…

Customer Question
I have what is...

I have what is called a mythical bird bath. Would like to know more about the piece.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is a large hand painted oblong bowl with birds painted on the inside and outside. it is made onto a tree branch with roots that hold the bottom straight and a branch goes over the top and this has birds sitting on the branches looking down into the bowl. There is also a small bird cage hanging from the top branch over the large bowl with a small bird inside. It is really unusual to look at.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I have a picture of the piece if that will be helpful.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/28/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 10 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Thank you for the image. Have you checked the underside or along the bottom areas for any marks? And what is this made from - the material?

~Nora

the birds and the leaves seem to be made into the branch or onto the branch. have you seen one of these before? i purchased it because it is so nice

Is this metal or porcelain?

when i go home i will check under and around to see if there are any markings? not sure what markings mean but i will look for anything other than the painted birds. its not metal, i guess porcelain. i thought it might be ceramic
the top of the small hanging bird cage i believe is metal

A mark could be a stamp under the glaze, or impressioned into the surface and usually is the name or initials of the maker or maker company and the country of origin.

ok i will look and see if there is anything. I was told that it was a mythical bird bath and they had purchased it from an estate sale the lade could not remember where she had purchased it originally just a long time ago was all she could remember

I will wait, no problem

No there are no markings

What is the material - is this mostly metal?

No only the small bird cage

The hanging bird cage was added to the bird bath bowl; the metal bird cage piece was made in India and has a value of $40 - $60.

The piece is Italian, early 20th century and could sell for up to $3000.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Who is it made by

Without a maker mark who produced this cannot be definitively stated, though likely by Capodimonte.

~Nora

not able to locate anything close to this on the internet. i tried capodimonte and nothing comes up. Is this called a mythical bird bath?

It certainly is a one-of-a-kind item and although the internet contains alot of information it is not the repository of all information. The piece is referred to as a 'folly' or fantasy creation, 'mythical bird bath' is a visual descriptor.

~Nora