Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have several pieces of Capodimonte marked and one of a…

Customer Question
Hello I have several...

Hello I have several pieces of Capodimonte marked and one of a kind unmarked which from all my research seem to come from 1700's I have a pair of Very large lamps no flaws that I see the one which I have not found one like it is a man playing a violin with a F/668 made in Italy and matching in color and number but there is an A also on it a women playing a harp , which I have seen but selling as new I inquired by phone if my lady came from there store I was told no when I searched the number it showed in 1700's-1800's I looked for markings and the only thing I thought might be was the crest on the back of the chairs is this possible ? Vickie Ready

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

The lamps looked as if they could of been oil because of the space underneath

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/27/2017
Antique Expert: Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions replied 9 months ago
Erin-Marie Wallace
Erin-Marie Wallace, CEO of Rare-Era.com Appraisals & Auctions

Greetings, my name is ***** ***** I am a federally certified appraiser and licensed auctioneer with a Master’s degree from Sotheby’s Institute, UK. I can assist you with this evaluation of your Capodimonte pieces but will need to request that you upload images of the pieces and let me know the dimensions as well.

Would you like a few pointers on uploading images?

Looking forward to assisting you.

Most Sincerely,

Erin-Marie

how do I uplooad so you can see

Certainly!

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper-clip" icon found in the toolbar you see on your reply page, .jpeg and .jpgs formats work best. An additional explanation of this method can be found here

If your pictures are on a phone, plug the phone into the computer, then you can upload to the site right from the phone, the phone will be treated as a removable drive.

If these methods are not working to your satisfaction, then please call the JustAnswer help service desk directly @1-***-***-****.

I look forward to assisting you,

Erin-Marie

Thank you, I've received two photos, one of each musician lamp. Give me a few moments to research and compose my response.

Kindest Regards,

Erin-Marie

Dear Vickie,

Thank you for taking the time to send photos of this lovely pair. Your lamps were made in Italy between the 1940s to the 1960s rather than the 1700s. There are some differences you can look for which will differentiate between Italian ceramics from the 1700s and the mid 20th century. If you'll bear with me, I'll try to describe some of them here.

One of the first and most important differences is the ceramic body itself. In the 1700s Italian ceramics were generally comprised of stoneware, terracotta and tin-glazed earthenware, they didn't have the technology to make pieces this large in the fine white clay that your pair is made of.

Two other things you can look at are the stye of modelling and the color of the glazes. In regards ***** ***** modelling of the figures, both are wearing costumes in the Rococo style of the 18th century rather than the Renaissance/Mannerist style of the 17th century. These outfits didn't exist in the 1700s. Over time, the manner in which artists have portrayed people has changed with tastes and fashion, these faces are modeled in a style popular in mid-20th century Italian ceramics. One last thing to note, in the 1700s, the lovely pink glaze didn't exist.

I hope this assists you but if my answer has let to additional questions, please let me know and we will chat further. Otherwise, hopefully, this impartial evaluation has been of assistance to you. Please keep in mind, I only receive compensation for my answer once you have rated me positively, thus, your 5-star rating is most appreciated.

Kindest Regards,

Erin-Marie

Capodimonte floral arrangements are so amazing, they mimic the flowers so well! I've seen Capodimonte flower arrangements date from the 1950s and right up until the present day. They have maintained their popularity in the current market longer than the figurative pieces have.

While all Capodimonte flower arrangements like this will date to the 20th century, in general, the more complex the piece, like your basket, the earlier the production. Your basket is likely the oldest of the three pieces sitting on your display cabinet. One of the influences for these bouquets are 18th century French porcelain bouquets, like this.

Capodimonte is one of many firms that referenced the styles of earlier eras in their production. May I answer anything else for you about these?

Sincerely,

Erin-Marie