Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a litagraph of Emmett signed and number 123 /250 the…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I have...

Second opinion] I have a litagraph of Emmett kelly signed and number 123 /250 the big game by George crionas

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is about 20 by 20

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is beautifully framed

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/26/2017
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 11 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me to look this up and posy back here promptly. Thank you

I ma now getting the value on lithograph

Here are biographies:

Emmett Kelly

Born: 1898 - Sedan, Kansas
Died: 1979 - Sarasota, Florida
Known for: cartoonist-tramp clown self portrait, sketches

Emmett Kelly Sr., the most well-known of the tramp clowns of the circus. His character, Weary Willy, was the perpetual underdog, who never gave up - and, because of it, occasionally won. He was inducted into the Clown Hall of Fame in 1989. In 2007, the Emmett Kelly Museum will celebrate its' 40th anniversary with an attempt at breaking the world's record for the largest gathering of clowns.

Emmett Kelly Sr. was born in Sedan, Kansas on December 9, 1898. His father worked the railroad, and his mother ran the family-owned boarding house. Sedan has created the Emmett Kelly Museum in his honor. He grew up, not in Sedan, but on a farm in rural Missouri. He worked at various jobs, finally seeming to settle down working as a cartoonist for a silent film company in Kansas City. It was there that Emmett Kelly first drew the tramp clown character that he would later portray, Weary Willy.

Although gainfully employed, Emmett Kelly had dreamed of joining the circus since he was a young boy, as many of us did. Emmett, however, worked to make that dream a reality by purchasing a trapeze, and learning how to become a circus ... aerialist. His first performing circus job (he had previously worked painting circus wagons) was as a trapeze artist with Howe's Great London Circus -- with Emmett doubling as a clown. Emmett agreed, and began performing, not as Weary Willie, but as a white-face clown.

By 1923, Emmett Kelly was working his trapeze act with ***** *****'s circus when he met and married Eva Moore, another circus trapeze artist. They later performed together as the "Aerial Kellys" with Emmett still performing occasionally as a white face clown. The next year, Eva became pregnant and Emmett Kelly tried to increase his salary by developing a new clown character for the show based on his sketches of Weary Willy. The boss clown of the circus thought that the tramp clown wasn't appropriate for the circus -- Weary Willy was, in his opinion, too scruffy and dirty-looking. Emmett returned to the trapeze and his white faced clown, until the Great Depression made the appearance of tramps and hobos more acceptable to American audiences. In 1933, Emmett Kelly appeared as the now-famous Weary Willy as his standard clown character.

With the Great Depression, work became harder to come by -- Emmett Kelly worked at Hagenbeck-Wallace Circus, later joining the Cole Brothers & Clyde Beatty Circus in 1935, and joining the Mills Circus in England in the late 1930's. While performing in Europe, he performed for the Queen of Spain and Winston Churchill, among other notables. It was in London that he came to the attention of John Ringling North, who eventually signed Emmett Kelly in 1942 for the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus -- after Kelly had turned The Big Show down twice.

Emmett Kelly, in his guise as Weary Willie, did not join the huge Spectacle numbers at the conclusion of each performance, but instead wandered into other performers' acts -- string up laundry on a low acrobatic wire, dusting off animals, and working the stands. In addition, Emmett Kelly also performed in the ring in his own acts, with the most famous undoubtedly being his "sweeping the spotlight" routine. (An otherwise unremarkable children's movie, The Clown and the Kids, stars Emmett Kelly Sr., including a rendition of his sweeping the spotlight routine).

Emmett Kelly Sr. remained with the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus for fourteen seasons, taking the 1956 season off to perform as the 'mascot' for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Emmett was active on Broadway (Please Keep off the Grass) and movies (notably the circus classic The Greatest Show on Earth and Fellini's classic The Clowns). Beginning in 1957, he worked with the Shrine Circus and made personal appearances worldwide.

Emmett Kelly Sr. died of a heart attack on March 28, 1979, at his home in Sarasota, Florida, USA. He is memorialized by the Emmett Kelly Museum in his birth town of Sedan, KS.

________________________________________________________

George Crionas

Born: 1925 - Detroit, Michigan
Died: 2004 - Canoga Park, California
Known for: figure and portrait painting-clowns

George C. Crionas was born in Detroit, MI on Sept. 25, 1925. Crionas lived in Michigan before moving to southern California. He died in Canoga Park, CA on March 24, 2004. He often painted clowns.

E***** *****, author of the book "Artists in California, 1786-1940"
Social Security Death Index (1940-2002).

Thank you

Thank you for your patience this lithograph of Emmett Kelly signed and number 123 /250 the big game by George Catriona size 20 x 20 has a value of 250-300.00 in today's market. Thank you for coming to just answer.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hello I wanted to check in to see if I may be of further help on this item? If you have more questions please let me know.