Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a large set of China with several serving pieces I'd

I have a large set...
I have a large set of China with several serving pieces I'd like to find out if it is valuable. The Set is Winterling Bravaria Germany 1 Wild Rose
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: This China was a wedding gift to my husbands parents 67 years ago.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Did you get the name and maker of the China, that is all I know, It is a complete set
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

I did get the name. Thank you!

.

You mention that it's a complete set, but that can actually vary depending on when it was bought and where. If it's not too much trouble, do you think you give me a list of exactly what you have in your set?

.

Thanks,
Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There are probably 16 place settings. I know there is a serving platter, 2 gravy boats, a soup tourine, I am not sure what else because it is packed up at my sister in laws house.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not want to pay extra for a phone call right now, but thank you.

Hi. How does this sound... I can price it based on what you gave me and if you run across any other pieces you can come back and let me know? I'll be glad to adjust any prices.

~Diana

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok that sounds good thank you

It's no problem. If you'll give me just a few minutes I'll put all that together for you.

~Diana

It's a very pretty pattern. I've always been fond of Rose patterns on dinnerware. It's long been discontinued so some of the pieces may be harder to find.

.

I can actually give you prices both individually and as a set so you'll know the value of each piece and as a set. Here is a breakdown value for what's typieclaly in a set:

.

16 dinner plates - $20 to $25

16 salad plates - $15 to $20 each

16 bread/butter plates - $5 to $10 each

16 soup bowls - $8 to $12 each

16 cup/saucer sets - $15 to $20 each

2 gray boats - $40 to $50 each

serving platter - $75 to $100

soup tureen - $175 to $200

.

.

.

16 dinner plates - $20 to $25

16 salad plates - $15 to $20 each

16 bread/butter plates - $5 to $10 each

16 soup bowls - $8 to $12 each

16 cup/saucer sets - $15 to $20 each

2 gray boats - $40 to $50 each

serving platter - $75 to $100

soup tureen - $175 to $200

.

As a whole set, it should have a value around $1200 to $1400. it will have an insurance value of $1800.

.

That should do it, but if I missed anything, please let me know.
.
The reason I broke it down is because sometimes you can get a higher value by breaking the set up or by piecing it out. It does take longer, but you get the higher values and it helps to know what each piece is worth.

.

Deciding on which way to sell it really depends on how fast you need to sell it. If you'd like to sell it fast, I'd recommend selling it as one lot and in the lower price range.
.

There is a downside. Selling china right now can be difficult because there are a number of people trying to currently get rid of their china so there is quite a bit on the market. It make take a few selling tries, but the collector's are out there.
.
I can give you a few ideas for selling. For selling, Etsy and Amazon's marketplace are great alternatives to Ebay. There is also Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic. They're more like online antique shops. They do cost a bit more to list there, but they get higher prices. Etsy is a good alternative if you want some place with lower listing fees. They have the lowest rates around right now.
.
Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. Ebay, like with any auction, you can expect about 1/2 of the actual value. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places for safety.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you.

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.
If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.

Have a great evening,

~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. You have given me a good idea of what it is all worth and how we can begin to sell it. It has been in the family a long time, however; none of the family has storage space for it. Thank you for your help, it has been very appreciated.

You're very welcome. I'm glad I could help. Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do please let me know.

.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser