Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have 2 oil paintings on canvas signed by RG Holdridge

Customer Question
1890. They both are large...
I have 2 oil paintings on canvas signed by RG Holdridge 1890. They both are large scenery paintings. Are they worth anything?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/25/2017
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 10 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you.

The value on his large landscape scenes run 2000-6000.00 framed and in good condition. I would need to see photos of the paintings and the measurements to give you an exact value.

to post photos here click on the paperclip, dile upload, or add files button and follow the prompts. I look forward to helping you if desired on a more accurate accurate value

Here is his biography following:

Ransome Gillet Holdredge

Born: 1836 - New York City
Died: 1899 - Alameda County, California
Known for: idealized landscape, Ind***** *****fe, and marine painting

Born in New York City in 1836, Ransome Holdredge came to California via the Isthmus of Panama in 1858 and worked as a draftsman at the Mare Island Naval Yard. His paintings of the 1860s and early 1870s were signed "Holdridge" and were done in the realistic style of the Hudson River School.

During this period he maintained a studio in San Francisco's Donahoe-Kelly Bank Bldg and exhibited locally. In 1874 he and Hiram Bloomer held a joint sale of their paintings to finance European studies. He left in that year and spent about two years studying in France.

His obituary states that he was a field artist for Scribner's publications and was with Major Reno's troops at the time of the Custer massacre in 1876.

After his studies in France, he returned to San Francisco with a distinctly different style. Paintings done after that time show the influence of the Bar bizon School and were signed "Holdredge."

His works were in great demand during his lifetime, received rave reviews by the local press, and were often considered superior to those done by William Keith. Holdredge traveled extensively through out the Northwest, Southwest, the Rockies and western Canada, often livingfor long periods of time among the various Indian tribes.

Due to his malnutrition and alcoholism, his paintings done during thelatter part of his life were not of good quality. Like his friendJules Tavernier, he made considerable money as an artist but did notmanage his money well. He died penniless at the Alameda County(CA) Infirmary in April 1899 and was buried at public expense.

ASSOCIATIONS
San Francisco Art Association (cofounder)
Bohemian Club

EXHIBITIONS
California State Fair, 1881-83
Mechanics' Institute (SF), 1868, 1880, 1886

COLLECTIONS
Bohemian Club
Oakland Museum
Society of California Pioneers
Orange County Museum
California Historical Society
Nevada Museum (Reno)
Bancroft Library (UC Berkeley)
Crocker Museum (Sacramento)
Oregon Historical Society

E***** *****, "Artists in California, 1786-1940"
California State Library (Sacramento); Artists of the American West (Samuels); American Western Art (Harmsen); The West as Art; History & Ideals of American Art (Neuhaus); California Landscape Painting 1860-1885; SF Call, 4-16-1899 (obituary).

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

Hello, I was checking in to see if you had photos of your paintings or had sizes to give you a more accurate value to each Please let me know.