Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Bought these 2 chairs at a consignment shop for $80 for the

Hello...Bought these 2 chairs at a consignment shop for $80 for the pair. They're smallish with very thin legs so not for a large person. Obviously they've been re-upholstered. Any idea how old they might be, what they were used for and approximate value? Thank you!

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the chairs.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the chairs.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND" or "SUBMIT") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Sorry, i thought i already attached photos? No?

No. They did not come through at this end.

Try sending them one at a time.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Pic attached
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Picture has been sent. Could only do one. Thank you.

They are lovely chairs. Are they the size of dining room chairs?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
They're smaller. About 15" from the bottom of the leg to the top of the wood frame where fabric cushion begins. The back rest at its widest part is approximately 13".

These are 19thC Continental (Europe) boudoir chairs to be used in the bedroom or private rooms.

The estimated retail value is $400-500 each.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Interesting, looks like a got a deal. Does the new upholstery detract from the value or still in the $400-$500 range as is? Thanks.

No. The fabric chosen is similar to what might have been on them originally.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

I received a photo you sent from the site customer support. My assessment remains the same.

******************************************

Please do not forget my need for A POSITIVE RATING.It is the ONLY WAY I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge,time and work.
Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thank you. I will post positive feedback for you.

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************