Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I own a large Asian Indian religious cloth painting, which…

Customer Question
Hi. I own a...

Hi. I own a large Asian Indian religious cloth painting, which is thought to be over one hundred years old. I'm considering selling it but have no idea how to determine its value. I live in Alexandria, Va., near Washington, D.C. Thanks.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The woman I bought it from wanted "at least" $1,000 for it, although I ended up paying less. I don't know how bright the colors originally were, but they appear to be somewhat faded now. Otherwise, it seems to be in excellent condition and is in a frame.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/24/2017
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

It sounds like you have a tanka. I can certainly value this for you, but there are many variations in quality, style, and age, so I'd need to see photos. Do you have any available to upload?

No, unfortunately, the only one I have is a print photo. I'm not sure how to take photos on my cell phone and send them.

A tanka can range in value from a few hundred dollars to tens of thousands of dollars. It all depends on the appearance, age, composition, etc. There is absolutely no way to be more specific without the appraiser seeing it.

If you can figure out how to take a photo, Customer Service can talk you through uploading or sending it.

Jennifer

OK. What is the customer service number?

1(###) ###-####/p>

Customer Service sent me an email saying that your photos were attached...but they forgot to attach the photos. I'm working on it!

My photos were never attached to any e-mail because I don't know how to do it. Your customer service sent me a long e-mail with very detailed instructions but it was so technical I was lost on the second sentence. I can forward it to you if you'd like. Would you please refund my money; I may contact you in the future when I learn how to upload photos. Thank you. Patricia W***