Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a book dated 1866, the author is Joseph Have D.D.,

I have a book...

I have a book dated 1866, the author is Joseph Have D.D., the name of this book is Mental Philosophy. This is a first addition, with a stampage like the kind of tool used to notarize. There is no copy write what so ever.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

The hard back is a color green with a G and L on the face of the book.

9/24/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

If it's an original copy from 1866, it was likely published by Gould and Lincoln. That's what the G and on your cover represents. They handled the publication of most editions of Haven's book. Haven's Mental Philosophy goes back to the late 1850s, so a copy from 1866 isn't a first edition, but it is a very old copy. It's also still an antique

.

Based on my records of past sales with antique and higher booksellers and current listings,it should have a current market value in the range of $60 to $85 for a copy in fair to good condition (some shelf rubbing, minor scratches, etc) and $125 to $150 for one in very good to excellent (solid cover, no tears, no major stains, etc).

.

If you do decide to sell it, I'd contact vintage book shops in your area. You might also check with local antique stores. There are a number of collectors that deal in books. To be completely honest, you'll definitely get a higher value by selling it yourself.
.
If you want to try selling your book yourself, I highly recommend checking out Etsy, Barnes and Nobles Marketplace and Amazon's Marketplace. They are great sources for selling and they do handle worldwide sales.

You can also check into:Albris or Biblio. Albris actually has one of the best price rates out of three, but Biblio tends to get more customer traffic.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do please let me know.

Best Wishes,
Diana

Hi. I noticed you got a refund. Can I ask why? Was there something wrong with my answer?

~Diana