Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a very unique cabinet/sink thing that has been passed

I have a very unique cabinet/sink thing that has been passed down through the years and I was told it was used in either a dentist office or some type of doctors office. Prior to plumbing and it has a sign on the inside floor that may have been used to fix this that says Hood Shoes.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: On the top backside of the sink is a container that is lined with tin? and you would pour the water in that and it would come out the little faucet which I don't have anymore into the sink and go into a bucket in the cabinet below. it is on casters and has a little drawer on either side. There is also a keyhole for opening.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.

There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please add images at your convenience by using the +Add File feature
Add pictures of any marks, labels or writing.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
ok I just ran out in the garage and took photos. This piece has seen MUCH better days but I have no storage for it anymore. photos coming
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
ok so that's it. I do remember seeing a faucet and knobs on this but don't know what happened to them and the story I got was that it was somehow medically used. This was passed down through the Penny family unless prior to the Pennys, someone else had it.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
My mother in law painted it the green color and my son accidentally broke the bowl part all of which I think is marble.

This is a circa 1870-1880 wood and marble sink

with some original brass hardware. This would have been

a household sink for a high end homeowner since indoor plumbing was only

available to a few during those years. Most homes has a similarly shaped

piece of furniture but it was called a 'dry sink' where a pitcher and bowl

was used where your sink is now. The lower portion was used as the commode.

A chamber pot was placed in the bottom and a latched door would have originally been on the back

so that the maid could remove the pot from the back. This piece has a current value of $400 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are www.loveseat.com (in CA), Layerhome.com, Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you!

You are so welcome. Please do click the stars now,I would really appreciate it!