Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Have a chocolate or tea set. It is marked Nippon hand

Customer Question
Have a chocolate or...

Have a chocolate or tea set. It is marked Nippon hand painted. the plate has two blue birds with red throats that looks as if they are singing. I know nothing about the set.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

This was gift from a sister-in-law. It was a gift from an aunt. She said that it was probably from the early 40's. There is also an s&k on the back set in a diamond look insigna.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/22/2017
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 11 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience: Antiques dealer for 12+ years and collector for 30+ years specializing in American and European porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.

My name isCustomerand I look forward to working with you. (I do not participate in the phone service)

Please add pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files button.

The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.
Add one, write a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago

I will answer without photos since I am familiar with these sets.

This is a Nippon porcelain chocolate pot set that was imported to the US by

Saji and Kariya Company (S & K) of Los Angeles, California. The S &K

mark in a diamond was used between 1920 to 1940 on their imports.

This hand painted Japanese chocolate pot set has a current value of $175 to $200

if you have a set with four to six matching demitasse (small) cups and saucers.

To end this one, please click the stars in the upper right and hit submit.
A good feedback is the only way I am paid by the site.
This action does not cost you anything extra.

If you are on mobile, scroll to the top of the page and click Finish by Rating.
That should take you to a screen that says "your rating is required",
do please click the five stars and hit submit.

Best Regards,Customer/p>

I am following up to see if you are happy with your answer or need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.