Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a large carved camphor chest, 40" x 22" x 21.5 that

I have a large carved camphor wood chest, 40" x 22" x 21.5 that my husband's family purchased in Singapore/Malaysia about 50 years ago. What value should I put on it to sell?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Both my husband's parents are dead, but my husband, who is a native Singaporean, remembers having "always had it" and he is 59 years old. Seems a very traditional and common piece. Just large and bulky. I do have pictures.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Carved out handholds on both ends in the shape of clams, also 2 more on front side. Carvings are on top of chest and on front side. Inside has a shallow sliding tray, separate from main cavity. Metal clasp made for traditional Chinese sliding lock is circular with scallop border and 4.5" in diameter.

My name is ***** ***** I look forward to working with you. (I do not participate in the phone service)

Please add pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files button.

The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture.
Add one, write a word in the text box, hit send, then do the next.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Bottom of chest has chalk number 109 and what looks like a soft curved line starting at a point near the top left of the the "1" and underlining the "109." Carved picture on chest top is same as on chest front; 6 human figures, 4 people crossing a curved bridge, 2 people on a boat under the bridge, scene is of pointy rooftop houses. bridge+river in center, and pagodas +tree with circular fruit on left and right.

This is a style of camphor wood carved blanket

chest with brass hardware

that was made in Hong Kong and Singapore, China in the 1950's through 1970's.

The selling price for this chest is fair at $175 to $225 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling on your own are https://marketplace.apartmenttherapy.com/, www.loveseat.com (in CA), Layerhome.com, Pamono.com, Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local),
Chairish.com, Ioffer.com, Furnishly.com, Deconet.com, Lushpad, Krrb.com, and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
They do all of the work and you get a check 14 to 45 days after the sale minus their 15% to 25% (negotiable!) commission.
***Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. Bonuses are also welcome! ***