Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

Trying to sell an antique BrunswickBalkeCollender 9" pool

Trying to sell an antique BrunswickBalkeCollender 9 " pool table. Beautiful wood with baskets of twining flowers of inlaid woods. 3" 3 piece slate. Would like to know the year this style was made and a fair appraisal. I have already paid my $5.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.

Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

Are you fully aware that the site will charge you more than $5?

Please use the following information to contact the site about the full charges.

Once you have contacted the site representatives and are satisfied with the full charges, come back to this thread and we can proceed.

Site Charges:

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.

If you wish to discuss site charges, see this link.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

OR

Email address:

***@******.*** (send no photos - special instructions)

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****

Available 6am to 9pm PST

International

Australia 1800-679-634

New Zealand 0800-452-621

United Kingdom 0***-***-****

The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I agree to the $48 fee.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No thanks. Would prefer a written answer to show potential buyers.

Thank you for checking.

Your Antique Brunswick-Balke-Collender 9' Pool Table has an estimated retail value of $8500-10,000.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.
If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars!

This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be the pro that takes the question.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
We purchased the table in 1980 in Buffalo NY. When my husband was alive he had info on the age and name of the table. I've looked at hundreds on tables online and not seen this style. Do you know any sites that might show more photo. Most important I would like the year it was built and can you tell the type wood it is made of??

You can see many more pictures of ones for sale on eBay on the same page as this one here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/253112965543?chn=ps&dispItem=1

Remember eBay prices generally are wholesale.

lt is impossible to know the exact date when you table was made; however, the workmanship looks to be early 20ThC.

It is also very difficult to tell wood type from a photo but it looks like this table was made of walnut veneers with Birdseye inlays.

*********************
I am only credited by the Just Answer site for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

*********************

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks for the fast answers.

You are welcome.

**********************
Thank you so much for the positive rating! If you have questions in the future, please request me by typing “For Doris only” as the first three words of the question. I should be the one to take your question.
Thank you again.
**********************