Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I am in pos. I have a small painting by Hileman. It is 18…

Customer Question
I am in pos ...

I am in pos

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have a small painting by Hileman. It is 18 1/2 by 5 1/2. I recieved it from my pop before he passed could you please help me

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

It is still in the original frame. I would like you to tell me it is very valuable. lol

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/21/2017
Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 11 months ago
Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Hileman painting. Do you mean Steven Hileman?

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the signature.

Many thanks,
Robert.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

HERE ARE THE PICTURES

I asked a question on Sept 21, 2017 at 12:13 about a landscape picture I have that was done be 'Hileman'. I have had problems transferring pictures to my computer to send to you. I have now succeeded in the transfer and find my original question has been closed. So, let's try again. What can you tell me about my picture? Attachment: HilemanPicture.jpg Attachment: HilemanSignature.jpg

https://www.screencast.com/t/4fBjQp4xim

https://www.screencast.com/t/xV8lXvOzR

I sent a question on Sept 21, 2017 and repeated the question again with photos attached on Oct 5, 2017. I have not gotten an answer yet. On Sept 25, 2017 you charged my account $38.00 "membership fee". I want an answer to my question or a return of my $38.00; as your service has not met my expectations at all. You have all the information that is needed to answer my original question. Your system should be able to retrieve my question and the photos that I have sent. Please take some action and let me know about my picture.http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/qhA1Lm28/0930172201.jpg
http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/UuH7ecmx/0930172200a.jpg
Antique Expert: Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago
Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help. I've been an appraiser for 28 years, and am the President of the Association of Online Appraisers.

Steven Hileman is a contemporary artist who lives in Pennsylvania, Maine. He is known for illustration and painting. His work has won numerous awards.

Your Hileman painting, if it is in excellent condition, would currently sell at auction or in a private sale for approximately $1,500. It should be insured for $3,750.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you. Please let me know if you'd like me to explain any of the above. I'd be happy to do that.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button), at no extra cost to you. Your positive rating is how I am credited for my work. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.
Thank you so much!

Best wishes,

Judith-on-Antiques

Antique Expert: Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 10 months ago

Hi, This is Robert here again and my apologies for the delayed response to your question, it's taken me some time to track down exactly who you have here, but success at last! I've managed to discover who this is and it's quite an interesting story!

This is not by Steven Hileman as the previous expert told you, in fact it's actually not a painting at all, it's a black and white photo that has been expertly hand colored. Hence the reason it's taken me a while to figure this out as I've been looking for a painter rather than a photographer.

The Hileman in the signature is T.J. Hileman, (1882-1945) an important early 20th century American landscape and portrait photographer. Tomar Jacob Hileman was born in Marienville, PA but spent most of his working life in the west, particularly Colorado and Montana, from the 'teens to the 1930s, photographing iconic landscapes in such places as Glacier National Park, as well as local Native American celebrities among the Blackfoot people and the Kainai and Piegan Indians recording valuable anthropological information about their traditional styles of clothing, coiffure, ornaments, and housing before they disappeared forever in their transition to modern life.

His photo of the Grinell Glacier in 1938 has provided a valuable benchmark for showing the 'before' and 'after' of glacial retreat caused by climate change. This is Hileman's photo of the glacier in 1938 and this is the glacier in 2009 from the exact same vantage point.

Your painted photo depicts St Mary Lake in Glacier National Park. Here's another version of your photo (but cropped to postcard format) in black and white and it has Hileman's typical embossed signature, lower right, as on yours. This 10 x 6 photo is currently being offered for sale on eBay for $79.00.

As for the value of yours, this example of your photo/painting sold on line for $200 which is about right for a secondary market price (auctions, on line sales etc).

If you saw yours for sale in an retail setting in an antique store, say, it would be priced at $500. This is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.