Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I would like to know the selling value of a 3 piece matched

Second opinion] I would like...
Second opinion] I would like to know the selling value of a 3 piece matched set of Italian glass ashtray, lighter & lidded cigarette box. These are a mid-century 40's / 50's items stamped 'Italy' on the bottom. They are made from opaque black galss with copper aventurine. The ashtray is 4" x 4.25" and weighs approx 1/2 lb. The lighter is a ball shape 4" tall x 3/5" wide and weighs approx 1 1/2 lbs. The lidded box is 4.75" x 3.75" x 2.5 deep and weighs 2 lbs. There are no chips or cracks. It is a beautiful set. Thank you.
pictures attached
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/21/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

That's a pretty set. 1940s/1950s is a pretty good date range. They're a midcentury Italian mold blown glass smoke set. This style was made from about the 1940s up until about the mid 1960s before trend started to wear out.

.

You actually seem to know quite a bit about them. I don't usually see as many customers that know to call it adventurine. It's the more common name for goldstone, though it's also used to describe glass made with these sort of copper inclusions. I know there was a company by the name of Weil that made extremely similar pieces. Though, with just an Italy stamp, there's no way to say for 100% certainty which factory made your set, but I would say they're the most likely suspect.

.

It's a gorgeous set. You have a few pieces you don't always find still with the original set. Given the condition, it should be worth about $100 to $150 at auction, but about $200 to $250 in a private sale.

.

The price will vary a bit depending on where you try to sell it. You will always get a higher value by selling it yourself in a private sale as opposed to an auction or selling it to a dealer.

.

For selling it yourself, Etsy is a great alternative to Ebay. Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores. They generally have a store "setup" fee, so unless you have a lot of items to list, it may be a bit too pricey, but they do get the "higher" paying customers. There's a fairly new site called Charish that is starting to get some great attention too. Etsy would be great for something like this and they have some of the lowest rates.
.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). Some buyers have even started using apps or sites like LetGo or Varagesale. The only big downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

Ebay is more or less a last resort. It does reach a lot of people, but the values tend to be lower. If you do decide to try Ebay, consider using reserves.
.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great day.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser
Diana F.
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser