Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019
71377891

I have a 37" X 25" Dickens oil painting and was doing

I have a 37" X 25" Dickens Chang oil painting and was doing research on his art and came across your site. Is his work still popular in China and where would be the best place to try to sell it?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It's a landscape of a river and large cliffs and was painted in 1974.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: not that i know of.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
IMG_8272 is a full shot of the painting. The rest of the photos are various close ups. The painting is very dusty and has two small black spots of dirt or gunk that need to be cleaned, but otherwise, there is no damage to the painting.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I prefer not to talk by phone. I didn't realize it was an extra 34.00. Can I cancel that request?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just read that you are unable to call and I will not be charged. That's perfect, as I did not realize at the time I clicked "Phone call requested" that it would cost and additional $34. We an continue via message. Thanks!

Yes, that is fine. No worries.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Dickens Chang painting could carry an auction estimate of $1200 - $1800 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do you have any other information, ie, where would the best place to auction it? Any more details about the artist? The period in which he painted it? Do you just give appraisals? And what did you base this amount on? A recent sale??
Thanks,
Pam

Dickens Chang is a Chinese/American artist who was born in 1948.

The painting is dated 1974.

This is done with a Chinese art influence, and those styel works by him tend to sell for less than his Western style works.

You can try Skinner's auction houses, as they have sold his works in the past.

The valuation is based on actual past auction estimates of his works in this same style.

~Nora

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the additional information. Much appreciated. -Pam

You are welcome