Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a numbered and signed watercolor print by D Sumida,

Customer Question
I have a numbered...

I have a numbered and signed watercolor print by D Sumida, "Floral Solitude", 6-80. Canyon give me info on it?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

It is approx. 14 X 11, in a 24 X 21 gold frame with an inside mat. It is of girl in a bonnet phased into field of flowers, done in pinks and lavender grey pastels. Numbered 21/200.

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

An envelope was attached onto the paper back, but was empty. The painting was given to me by an older man who had had it a long time, but said it was worth money. That is all I know about it.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/20/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 12 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR-

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Please do not try to use the site email method of sending photos without specific instructions from me.

Kind regards,
Doris

Doris, here are the photos you asked for. I believe there are six of them.

They did not come through at this end. Please resend using the ADD FILES feature, one at a time.

Download Photo #2
Download Photo #3
Download Photo #4
Download Photo #5
IMG_20170920_125617.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170920_125604.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170920_125547.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170920_125631.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170920_125655.jpgIMG_201...jpgIMG_20170920_125655.jpgIMG_201...jpg
Thank you Doris, I will be anxiously awaiting your reply

I am very sorry but your pictures are much too light for me to see them.

Can you retake them or adjust your photos and resend them?

Kind regards,

Doris

Sorry Doris, That is the best I can do with my old tablet and PC. It is bad I know! However, you did say if I could not send pictures, you could still help with more information. The photos did show the signature, date and name and the frame front and back, fairly well. It is of a girl with dark hair and a bonnet with the ribbon hanging down to shoulder. She is in a field of faded flowers, in front of her in pinks and behind her in lavender/grey flowers that are higher. Her dress fades into the flowers at about waistline. This is all done in pastels and is in landscape/horizontal form. It is behind glass and the original print is not faded, just painted in extremely light pastels. If I can be of any more help, please write again. Thanks for all you can do, with what you have to go on!

I was not able to sign the site on when I returned to my computer 45 minutes ago so I just saw your response.

My real problem is that there is no listed artist by the name of D. Sumida.

I have studied the faint pictures I received from you but cannot make out the name of the artist.

Are you sure it is D. Sumida? Look especially carefully at the first name initial.

Kind regards,

Doris

In reviewing your pictures, I noted there is a white label on the back.

What does it say?

By the way, this is not a painting but a limited edition (numbered) print. It still has value.

Also, original paintings never have the name in type below in the margin.

Again, what does the back label say?