Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Recently acquired a Newport beach older painting... said to…

Customer Question
Recently acquired a Newport...

Recently acquired a Newport beach older painting... said to be quite old by the Artist Muggeridge. Would you be able to help? Wondering if its worth anything?

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Well, my Husband is a contractor and is working out in Newport Beach CA area and she said this painting was around when her grandmother had it as a child. I believe this woman is in her late 80's. She said it could be 100 year old or so? I can possibly send you a pic if you would like. But I would need an email address to send to you. lmk Colleen

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It's still in the original frame and matting in excellent condition.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/20/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 10 months ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements.
Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.

What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.
If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR-

The EMAIL method:

This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:

Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.

Send the picture to ***@******.*** with the following EXACT information.

In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals."
.
In the body of the message put, your site user name and real name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same email address that you registered with

Just Answer, so they can verify who you are.

This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours or more.
.
They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

Kind regards,
Doris

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

********************
I do not normally participate in the extra charge phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send the pop-up ad/offer.

********************

Wanted to mention after just having a conversation with my husband its actually a painting of Corona Del Mar Coastline looking towards the west full ocean around rocks and mountain area. Might be easier if I could send an actual picture of this painting much easier and makes sense.

Yes.

please just let me send you a picture of this painting. thanks
do u have an email address I could send to you. You can't appraise something you can't see.

Yes.

There is no hurry at this end.

I sent photo instructions in my first response along with other requests.

Didn't see how I can send a picture of the painting. Pls send me that info . tks.

I sent extensive instructions in my first response. Please read everything I send to you.

Still don't see how to send you a pic

Please read everything I send you. It saves time.

Here is everything in my first response.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Although I am USPAP-trained, the assessments given here do not meet USPAP requirements. Thoughtful responses take time. My responses are not instantaneous.What size is your piece (in inches) not including the frame and mat? Please do not remove from the frame.Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.Can you send photos?If so, then -Please send photos of the front and back of your framed piece.Please send a photo of the signature.You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.To send photos you may use the "ADD FILES" in the blue box link (next to "SEND") on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.An explanation of this method can be found here:http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hlOR-The EMAIL method:This is the official explanation of how to send photos via email:Please follow the directions exactly or they will not get to me.Send the picture to***@******.*** with the following EXACT information.In the subject line put " Pictures for˜Doris in Antiques or Appraisals.".In the body of the message put, your site user name and real name..Make sure to send these from the same email address that you registered withJust Answer, so they can verify who you are.This method takes longer because the photos are sent to the Just Answer techs who must forward them to me. It sometimes takes as long as 24 hours or more..They will forward them to me and as soon as I get them I will contact you.Site Help With Photos:1-***-***-****The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.I do not send pop-up offers. Kind regards,Doris
I did sent a pic last night. I will try to take a clearer pic and get measurements for you and pic of back and front and the signature

I am sorry but your pictures have not been forwarded to me yet.

Often when this happens, the customer has not sent his/her pictures correctly via the email process.

We need to give the forwarding from the site tech department more time (5 hours). If your pictures have not been forwarded to me by then, you will need to send them again.

Pictures get to me almost immediately when they are sent via the ADD FILES link you see in your response box near the SEND link.

Kind regards,

Doris

I received one excellent photo of the front of the piece.

In my six authoritative artist directories there are only two artists with the last name Muggeridge. One is ***** ***** Muggeridge who specialized in photography. The other one was Marianne Muggeridge of New Zealand. Her style does not match the style of your piece.

Unfortunately, your artist is called "unlisted."

This does not mean your painting is not well done. It simply means that he/she has not been recognized nationally of internationally nor have any of his/her work been part of a major exhibition.

As a lovely painting by an unlisted artist, your piece has an estimated retail value of $450-650.

I truly wish I had better news.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.

Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com
https://www.justcollecting.com/about/selling

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. Or if you see "review expert" or "rate expert", you can click on that.

If you using a mobile phone: scroll to the top of the page then click on Finish Rating, then click on the stars! This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you type "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, I should be able to help you.