Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a large painting by PoPo and Ruby that is of two

I have a large painting by PoPo and Ruby Lee that is of two horses. I live in Sonoma County. How can I get it appraised?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It's 50 3/8" x 36 1/2" The signature has their names and then underneath it looks like astrological signs: sun, leo, moon, aries 74. I have a photo of the painting and the signature up close.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I inherited it from an aunt who was an artist down in So. Cal. I think she said that she and the artist of the painting exchanged works some time in the 70s.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. Please add images at your convenience by using the +Add File feature
next to the SEND button.

I will need to see to see pictures of the painting,
signature and any labels on the back of the completed framing. Give me time to do some research after you add pictures.
No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I do respond.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Rarewares.
I've added a photo of the painting and one of the signature. I'm at work and don't know if there's anything on the back or not.
Thank you!

This is a 1974 original oil on canvas by Popo & Ruby Lee

depicting two horses. Popo is of Russian and Indian ancestry studied philosophies and arts of the Orient in New York. Ruby Lee, whose parentage is Chinese, Austrian, English and Japanese, traveled from Hong Kong to London and Paris to study classic Western Art. They met and were married in San Francisco. They spent five years in the small town of Ojai, between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles.

This painting has a current value of $8,000 to $9,000 retail.

*****Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I haven't been able to find any horse paintings by them. Mostly figures. Did they do many horses?
If I decide to sell it, what would you recommend?
Thanks!

They did do horses, most include horses and Native American Indians, a few with just horses, yes.

To sell, try ads on these sites; artbrokerage.com, askart.com, artnet.com, artvalue.com, or artprice.com. Some other sites that I recommend for selling are Offerup.com (local), Varagesale.com (local) , Wanelo.com, Bonanza.com, Ioffer.com, Etsy.com, Ebay and letgo.com (local).
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.
Please do click the stars now for this one, it is very important for me to get good feedback for answering.