Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

Hamilton pocket watch, serial no. C27649. 992B 21 jewels…

Hamilton pocket watch Expert's...

Hamilton pocket watch

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

Serial no. C27649. 992B 21 jewels Keystone Victory

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to help.

.

Is that serial number from the gears of the watch or from the case?

.

~Diana

Number from the gears not the case
I would like to know the date of manufacture and value

Great. Thanks. If you'll give me just a few minutes, I can put all that together for you.

~Diana

Hi. Thank you for your patience.

.

Based on the C27649 serial number, that's a Model 5, 992B grade movement with a lever setting. It should be a size 16 with 21 jewels. It also should likely have a 3/4 plate with a nickel finish. It may not say it on the gears, but these models often adjusted to temperature and 6 positions. It was considered a railroad grade, which means it was approved by a railroad organization for use by conductors on their lines. Generally it meant these were well crafted and held excellent time.

.

Based on my records, the movement should date to around 1941. They were produced over 30 different productions runs from when it was first made it in 1940 and discontinued in 1970. They made a little over 675,000 overall and nearly 30,000 in your run alone. It's a nice, popular watch.

.

In excellent condition, the movement alone will be worth about $200 to $300 in working condition and $150 to $200 in non-working condition.

.

.
Your case was made by Keystone. They were in business from about 1885 to 1927. That's interesting because it means it's likely not the original case. It's not uncommon for the guts of a watch to go through a few cases in it's lifetime, but it does mean the case is older than the Hamilton movement. It's a Victory grade case. That means it's a Rolled Gold Plate. Rolled gold is a mixed material. It's made up of a thin layer of gold that's heat-fused to metal (usually brass or copper). Then it's rolled out into sheets and can be "plated". The Victory grade was a bit higher grade. It was warranted to 10 years.

.

Rolled Gold doesn't add a huge value, but with a rolled gold case, you'll be looking at an overall value of about $225 to $300 in non-working condition and $375 to $475 in working condition. . It should have an insurance value of $600.

.

Just for future reference and in case you might be interested in any other watches you have....If the case says anything like guaranteed or warranted that means it's most likely a gold-filled case. The majority of gold fill cases tend to show a little brass somewhere. If you can't read the marks, give the case a good look-over. Look closely at the pendant, on the bow or on the bottom edge. Also, look where the case was cut or turned down while manufacturing, like the lever cuts, the case spring holes, or where the movement is. Often you might see a little bit of the original brass showing at any of those places.
.

If you ever have a doubt, most jewelers will run a quick test for free.

.

The exact pricing will depend on the condition and where you sell it. At an auction, you're really dependent on the audience unless you stick a reserve on your watch. They can go high or low. Plus you might have dealers in the audience, so they might try to get values lower so they can make a profit later on.
.
Online markets (like Ebay) tend to go for less. To be honest, with Ebay, unless they're rare or uncommon models, watches tend to go for about 1/2 of the their actual value. Trade shows and antique or jewelry store dealers won't offer the real value either because they will be looking to resell. You might ask them about selling on consignment. They'll take a percentage of the sale, but might already have a buyer in mind.
.
Your best values will come from a private sale one on one to another collector. For that, Rubylane, Tias, and Cyberattic are great online stores for selling old watches and do sell worldwide. Etsy is another great place and it generally has some of the lowest listing rates. I always recommend checking them out first.

.

There is also craigslist. Your town might even have a facebook page dedicated to selling items (like an online garage sale). The only downside to these is you always run a risk of meeting someone that may be dangerous. If you go that route, never have them come to your house. Always meet someplace very public and never go alone. I don't generally recommend any of those options because I would hate for something to happen to you. One generally safe option is meeting up at a local police station. A lot of towns allow sellers to use their parking lots as meeting places.

.

That should give you quite a few options, but if you need anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

.

I hope this has been helpful to you. I do my best to offer you the most current values and information using the latest guides and recorded sales.
.

Please keep in mind I am only credited for my answer if you rate me positively. If you feel the need to use a lower rating which adds a negative mark to my profile or if you have any further questions about your item please feel free to reply to me and tell me what else I can do for you..

.

If you're on a mobile device, please make sure to scroll to the top and click on the box that says finish rating! A box with stars in it should open and you can rate me there.

.

If you have any trouble doing that, please let me know.

.

If you would like to use me on any further questions. Requesting me expires in just a short time. If you put my name (DianaF) in the question, that will make sure it gets to me.
.
I look forward to working with you again.
.
I hope you have a great evening.
~Diana

Diana F.
Diana F., Antiques Appraiser

Thank you for the positive rating. I appreciate it. If there's anything else I can do please let me know.
Best wishes,

Diana