Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a few really old items that I'm considering selling.

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a few really old items that I'm considering selling. I'm looking for a reputable place to give me some ideas on the value. The main items are a spinning wheel, Victrola and a child's roll top desk. I believe each of them are close to 100 years old and older. Can you point me in the right direction? Thank you! Maryellen

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

Each item is in excellent condition. The Victrola plays beautifully and I have about 100 78's. (I know they are worth anything!) The spinning wheel seems to be completely intact. I was told it was almost 100 years old when my parents got it around 1950. And the desk is in great shape but the slants for the roll top are loose.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/18/2017
Antique Expert: rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 9 months ago
rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hello there

My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you in your question today. Thank you or using JustAnswer to solve your question.

Can you provide your postal code so I can find the appropriate certified appraisal in your area?

Thanks

Good morning,
19904

Thanks for your reply

Here is the list:

SWED Robert C*****br />Wilmington , Delaware - 19808
Phone : 3-0-2-9-9-4-6-0-8-6

Merrill's Antiques

***** Wilmington, DE 19805
3-0-2-9-9-4-1-7-6-5

Mid Atlantic Antiques

Wilmington, DE 19807
3-0-2-5-2-8-0-2-0-6

In any case, if you have doubts you can ask follow up questions here for free after rating my answer. I can also appraise one item that you may think it is valuable or that you have doubts or you want more information about it.

Let me know if I can help you any further, otherwise, please, remember to rate my answer!

I've never had anyone evaluate these pieces before so I'm a little nervous! Obviously I can't bring these pieces to someone like a piece of jewelry. What kind of fees can I expect will be involved with having some one come to my home? Are the fees based on time, distance, the number of items or all inclusive? I'm asking because I have several other pieces that I'm curious about the value. And if I decide I want to sell a piece, what is a good venue to do this? People usually suggest ebay, Amazon, etsy, etc.but I'm not sure. Thank you!
Thank you very much.

Well, the fees depends upon distance and time of course, you may have to ask for a quotation, but you can expect 100$/hour likely.

Actually, the cheapest option is to appraise them through internet, but it is a low of work-typically, appraisers like me in the site will need pictures of the items to appraise, and sometimes it is not worth the money. If you want we can maybe try with the item that you think is most valuable!

I'd like to get your opinion on my spinning wheel! Attached is a Word Doc with some pictures and the history as I know it.. Please let me know your thoughts and if you need anything else. Thank you! :-)

Excellent and lovely piece! It is very uncommon to find this kind of spining wheel in such good conditions. If you take a look at the joints, they were not performed with any metallic parts-nails or screws. This tell us that the spinning wheel is at least from the 19th century, most likely from the early 19th. The wheel it self is made of metal, which unusual, as they were normally made of wood. Metals at that time were so expensive that wood wheels were the most common solution. I could not see any manufacturer mark, which is normal for this kind of wheels.

Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.

The value will be in the range of 250-350$

Good morning! Thank you for your review of my spinning wheel. I feel it is a beautiful piece in great condition for it's age! I wanted to clarify a few things for you to see if the value range may be affected. I'm surprised about the value only because I've seen others in much worse condition and missing pieces sell for much more money. The wheel is not made of metal but wood and has nails joining the edges. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks for your reply

It could have nails from a later restoration/repair work, there is no trouble on this, it is typical in spinning wheels

About the value, I try to provide the closest market value for each item. Of course that there are ads with spinning wheels of thousands of dollars, because of a reason, they are not sold. So such price is not the correct and accurate value. You can upload an ad with a starting price of 500$, and see if there are collectors near your area. I would then lower the price from that point if needed.

I hope that everything is clear now!

I called the dealers you gave and they were useless. Merrill's Antiques: the number is ***** of service and a recording refers you to 2 other numbers. It's difficult to understand the recording and it will dial the numbers for you. Neither of the numbers answered or had answering machines. Robert Swed: i called several times but no one answered and there wasn't an answering machine. Mid Atlantic Antiques: A very nice man answered and we spoke for a few minutes. I said I got the number from Just Answer. He wasn't interest in anything I had and told me that the antique market is not very popular anymore. Basically I didn't receive information that I didn't already know, however I thank you for your responses to me.