Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have The General Store dollhouse #103. It was built in the…

Customer Question
Hello! I have...

Hello! I have The General Store dollhouse #103. It was built in the 70s and was a thing of beauty! It has since endured a decade on a porch, wet, smelly and needing much love- but still wired and complete. Looking for value and would it be best to sell as is or attempt rehabbing

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

It is full of all the general store items and the rooms above have Sonia Messer furniture problem is, most of the furniture looks good but has the fragile legs broken off.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sending pictures of the house and the furniture and also of the Providence that came with it; I have all of the pictures of it being built and I also have a picture of it sitting in a dollhouse store window.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgIMG_6763.JPGIMG_6763.JPGimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
9/18/2017
Antique Expert: rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
rusufdavi
rusufdavi, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hello there

My name is ***** ***** I will try to help you in your question today. Thank you or using JustAnswer to solve your question.

Regarding the value of your item, I have just perform a market research of similar sold items as yours. I performed the research based upon the most recent finished auctions and private sells, so the value given is the real market value of your item. This is the only way to know the exact value of your unit.

The value will be in the range of 1,200-1,600$. In your case I would recommend to sell the doll house as is, with all the proper furniture included in the kit.

If you want to sell the unit I would recommend to sell them on the internet so you can reach more potential buyers. You can also sell the lot locally, Craigslist is free, and a lot of collectors look at the ads on Craiglist.

Keep in mind if you sell the unit to a resell shop, the price will decrease 20-30% from market value.

You can sell the item on Etsy, it's like you put the item in a online shop. You may also check Amazon Market Place. Both places have good reputation, and you can easily sell the items for a good price.

Let me know if I can help you any further, otherwise, please, remember to rate my answer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello and thank you for responding. I was honestly hoping to get a lot more information and advice. The information you provided was info I was able to easily find on my own via comparisons on EBay, live auction sites and the internet. I was hoping for a dollhouse/miniatures expert to let me know more than what is easily accessible info. I want to know about the signed woodwork furniture items- who is the artist, is there info about this house, what would be the value of the house if it were fixed up, is the Messer furniture value completely gone with the broken legs- I have the broken parts-....just looking for more info really ��Thank you

Hello

No problem, I perfectly understand. I normally write this kind of answer because customers in the site typically want an appraisal value, not info about their items. However, I can answer all the question that you may have about the house, What do you want to know about it? Manufacturing year? Who designed it?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I actually know that too- I was able to find the plans for it on the web. What I want to know is more specific: was this the original? I have pics of it being made and the dollhouse store that it was featured in- does this increase value? Some of the furniture is signed either RWT or RWK or perhaps P and not an R?? The marking is on the bottoms- is this furniture from a well known accredited miniature artist- like with the IGMA? Can you see in the photos a mini woven grass basket- is this valuable ? Possibly a sell alone?
I myself am a miniature and antiques enthusiast. I have been buying, selling antiques and miniatures for many years, I have had thousands of items cross my hands .... but I would not call myself an expert....I would like a expert in the field, a professionals, answer. Do you have specific experience with these items? If not, I would like the chance to ask someone else.

OK, I think it is better that I opt out the question so another expert can come and help you.

Thanks