Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have a wooden medical kit of my Great, Great Grandfather.

Customer Question
I have a wooden...

I have a wooden medical kit of my Great, Great Grandfather. He was the first to do a hysterectomy in the US . Paul Fitzsimmons Eve was one of the great surgeons in the South during the 19th century.1 He completed his surgical training in Europe and served in several foreign wars as well as the American Civil War. He published more than 500 articles, introduced 14 operations to America, was president of the American Medical Association, and edited the Southern Medical and Surgical Journal and Nashville Journal of Medicine and Surgery. Additionally, he held the chair of surgery at 5 different medical schools and was the first professor of operative and clinical surgery at Vanderbilt University. Eve led a rich and colorful life; however, his legacy has been largely forgotten, even by surgeons in the South.

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

I've got pictures

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/16/2017
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 11 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please post the photos of the kit- the bag / box and all contents there are. If any have his name on them I would like to see that also You have a wonderful history to this item and should type this information all out to go along with the kit if it has not been done yet. It is sad when the greta pioneers of fields get tossed and forgotten they are the ones that should be held highest to learn from and gain throughout time. They experienced and conquered what many take for granted today. I look forward to seeing this and helping you on the kit. To post photo s here click on file upload, add files or the paperclip button and follow the prompts Thank you

Pictures attached

Thank you I do have all four photos on this end.I appreciate your help. What a wonderful heirloom. I will post back when completed. Thank you again

Thank you for your patience this is a wonderful amputation kit well cared for over time.

Pwned by Dr Paul Eve this was a kit made by J.H.Gemrig. J. H. Gemrig was a surgical instrument maker in Philadelphia, Pa. during 1840 to 1881 in various forms (alone, with his brother, and with his son). During the Civil War, Gemrig was a major supplier of surgical sets under contract to the Union forces. His company was located at 48 N. 6th from 1841 to 1844, at S. 8th in 1845, 43 S, 8th from 1846 to 1865, and 109 S. 8th from 1866 to 1880.

All dates are from the Directory of Makers and Dealers as listed by Edmonson in American Surgical Instruments: an Illustrated History: Jacob H. Gemrig surgical instrument maker 1841-1880 This particular set dates between 1850-57. The blade of the capital saw is indicative of a later design found during the 1860's. The saw is the only piece that looks to have been replaced and understandable as an amputation kit the saw was well used and would have been replaced several times. The case is original civil war case and made from Mahogany. The resell value of the kit is 2800.00 and then we factor in the ownership of the kit and his standing in the field as it can all be tied to his work the value is 6***-**-****.00 (at a medical auction this could go higher or lower also) and you will want to print this out and keep the information along with your history to this kit and family background. Overall the whole collection= his history documented and background, his medical box and instruments are not only historical and revolutionary in the medical field it represents the foundations to surgery as a whole- amputations, hysterectomy, the honors he was awarded throughout life. Fantastic collection and if you are looking to insure this collection the insured value would be $10,000.00

"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

the link below is from his time at Vanderbilt University

https://www.library.vanderbilt.edu/biomedical/sc_diglib/exhibits/biopages/peve.php

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

In 1831 he served with the Polish Army as surgeon during the revolution in that country, and Poland awarded Dr. Eve the Golden Cross of Honor for his service

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

https://www.facs.org/~/media/files/archives/15_eve.ashx

the link above gives the story of his life.......

"Perhaps Eve’s most cherished appointment was his selection

as a centennial representative to the International Medical

Congress at Philadelphia convened in 1876 to celebrate the

signing of the Declaration of Independence."

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

the link below will attach you to family tree background also

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=86506761

______________________________________________________

++++++++++++++

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.