Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I have an antique glass shooting ball as seen in one of your…

Customer Question
I have an antique...

I have an antique glass shooting ball as seen in one of your episodes the one I have is the carnival glass version said to be worth much more than the others

Expert's Assistant: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I have a carnival glass shooting ball. I'd like to sell or at least appraise

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?

I saw a glass shooting ball on one of your episodes that was said to be worth $27,000 and it was mentioned that it would be much more valuable if it was Carnival Glass which I believe mine is

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Antiques
9/15/2017
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 11 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser

Hello

This is the site Just Answer, we are an online appraisal site you found us by way of the Antique Road Show site, I assume. What is it you are wanting valued?

Glenda

Hi, my name is Glenda,

This is your answer, please read before rating.

Policy: Rating for the Appraiser is for the professionalism of the Appraiser, it is not for the value of the item (Appraisers have no control over values, we do not set values. We simply report them.) It is not for any issues due to the site policy or procedures. Appraisers do not work for the site, we are independent working for ourselves, ratings allow us to continue to work on the site answering customers questions.
.
The Antique Carnival Glass Target/Shooting Ball has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $275.00-350.00 if sold at an auction(a local auction ) it would sell for a little less,at around $150.00-175.00 , if this were sold in a High End Antique Shop in a larger city it would sell for $350.00 and up depending on the condition. If I were selling it I would list it for $350.00
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great! All sites can be sold from with pick up only option.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. This is the only way we get credit for our work.They should be located top left of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert.
.
If using a phone you have to scroll back to the top of the page where you started, there is a box that says finish rating! Then a box opens with stars in it, then you click the stars.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

How is it possible that the one on the show was not carnival glass and was valued at 27000. On the show it said the carnival glass version would be worth closer too 100 k? Yet mine is 350
Antique Expert: AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 11 months ago
AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

The ball that was featured was what's known as a "picture ball." It had an image of a goose on it. It was the only known glass ball that also had a picture, and was marked by the renowned maker Agnew and Brown.

So the answer to your question about value, is due to the exceptional rarity of that particular ball. Carnival balls in general are not anywhere near that level, typically.

I see you have an iridescent quilted depression glass model in an amber/brown. Does it have any name markings, symbols, letters, or numbers anywhere on it?

Once you let me know that, I can give you some more specifics as to the value of that ball.

Sincerely,

Jennifer